Dremel tool blade sharpening

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gml9, Jul 27, 2004.

1. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Not sure about the balancing of the blades but in the past I've used a Dremel tool(grinding wheel) to sharpen push mower blades that are extremely dull. I have the angled grinder now for the WB. Is there a recommended blade balancing tool? I just use a straight/level rod to see if the blade balances before re-installing. Thanks for the responses.

2. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

dude--the dremel tool is not an effective way to sharpen mower blades.

in your case, C-clamp or vise grip the blade down and get a large, coarse flat bastard file for sharpening.

if you get into commercial cutting you'll have many blades to sharpen and need a better way to do it.

GEO :)

3. bunky

bunky LawnSite Member

I bought a Dremel Tool and Blade sharpening bit, I used it on my Garden tractor, It didn't seem to work real well the blades were too thick..... I too just use a File unless they are really bad then I have to use the angle grinder....

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

oopps. I re-read your post. you got a WB so I assume you are commercial cutting.

as for a balancer, I use the cone. if you can afford it a professional sharpener and balancer is preferred.

GEO

5. gml9

gml9 LawnSite Member

Normally I pay to have them sharpened but need to sharpen Toro SP frequently for residentials where the 52 will not fit. I don't have this equipment to mow just my lawn----and I have the angled grinder but use the Dremel for onsite sharpening if needed. I looked at an air impact tool today....will get this weekend for easy blade removal.