Dremel Tool

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Crew Cut Lawncare, Dec 27, 2003.

1. Crew Cut Lawncare

Crew Cut Lawncare LawnSite Member

Do any of you use a dremel tool for sharpening blades? I got one for Christmas and there is a lawn mower sharpener attachment that you can buy separately to be used on the dremel tool. Has anyone tried this sharpener attachment?
  2. Evan528

Evan528 LawnSite Silver Member

I use my dremel for sharpening blades occational.....pretty time consuming though compared to using my lesco blade grinder.
  3. Soupy

Soupy LawnSite Gold Member

I use mine for sharpening hedge trimmers. If you sharpen your blades more then once a week, I would get a dedicated blade grinder. If thats not in your budget I would get a angle grinder.
  4. gogetter

gogetter Banned

5. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

I've had a dremel tool for decades and I couldn't imagine using it to sharpen the 3 blades on my lesco on a regular basis.

for dressing the edge on hedge trimmers, perhaps,... chain saw, possibly,... but removing metal on dull, thick steel lesco mower blades...never.

1. I doubt the dremel could do it.
    2. I don't have that much time.
    3. the cost of those little wheels would eat you alive.

now for a homeowner...perhaps a dremel would do OK. jmo.

6. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

hey i got one for x mass 2 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  7. J.Gordon

J.Gordon LawnSite Senior Member

No itÂ’s too small! But it is a useful tool in the right conditions.

Jeff :waving:
  8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have had a Dremel for years and could not imagine using it to sharpen blades. Yes, it can be done, but would require a lot of time. I have used it to sharpen roto-tiller blades. It did take a lot of time, but would have taken more time to take the blades off and use the grinder.