Dress code?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnproslawncare, Mar 10, 2008.

1. lawnproslawncare

lawnproslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

So how many of you have a dress code for employees?
    What does it consist of?

2. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

This post doesn't really apply to me as I'm not a cutter/landscaper/etc, but for the most part I'm anti dress code within reason. As long as someone is not wearing something obscene it should not matter.

3. lawnproslawncare

what about employees that wear shorts when trimming? What about the insurance risks?

4. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

I like those tuxedo T-shirts. They say hey, we're dressed to impress, but relaxed enough to enjoy ourselves. No seriously we encourage to wear company T-shirts, but someone always has laundry day, so as long as it isnt offensive or holey then its usually OK. Employees must keep them on while working, the only exception is on 100* days and only when no one is around.

5. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Most wont do it anyways since it turns their legs green and they get whacked in the shins all day long.

6. lawnproslawncare

I always thought that, except at our golf course we would have to encourage them to bring a pair of pants to keep in their locker.
    I understand hot hot days, but coming from the golf side I had to wear the club shirts being in the management side. I've always been one to dress decent.

7. Zooropa93

I totally understand the wearing pants issue, but as far as the club shirts and such, I guess I have an anti establishment streak in me. I personally can't stand golf etiquette and golf attire. I'm a horrible golfer, not that it matters, but I want to be able to hit the links in whatever I would normally wear. I depise the thought of having to abide by someone elses standard of what I should or should not wear. If i can't wear jeans and a t-shirt somewhere, then chances are it's not a place I want to frequent. This topic is reminding me of a club in Las Vegas where they were randomly checking the brand of shoes we wore in line.

8. lawnproslawncare

LOL yeah, well the shirts were my uniform. They wanted to give me white shirts....ummm NO!...are you kidding me? I crawl on the shop floor and on the ground. I'm like a universal monkey, ME DIG, ME DIG, ME OIL, ME OIL!

9. GrassmasterB

GrassmasterB LawnSite Member
    from Florida

if you're a professional company than a dress code is a must. currently i'm a solo operator, but i wear, and any future employees will wear a company t-shirt (tan w/green lettering), shorts or jeans, boots, hat, eye and hearing protection. i'd provide the shirts,hat, ear plugs and safety glasses. going shirtless is not an option. not professional and if you want to increase your chances of skin cancer, do it on your own time.

10. Zooropa93

fair enough, that's seems reasonable even though I'm anti uniform lol :D