1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dress for Success?

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by HOOLIE, Nov 27, 2004.

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Saw this guy in McDonald's the other day, interviewing for a job with the manager. He's wearing a Chevy baseball cap and a T-shirt that reads: "Dirty Deeds...Done Dirt Cheap"

Do you think he'll get the job? Maybe he was implying he'll work for minimum wage. I was just shaking my head.
  2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Remember where he was applying :D

3. K.Carothers

K.Carothers LawnSite Bronze Member

Yup! I just ordered 2 double cheeseburgers from him.
    You bring up a good thread. You should dress for success. I don't mean you should go out wearing a $600 suit to do a estimate(imagine showing up in that) but a clean pair of jeans and shirt w/company name or logo shows professionalism.
  4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

first impressions are a killer.
  5. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I love it when kids apply for jobs with their underwear hanging our, pants ripped, every body piece pierced, do they really think I will let them represent my company?
  6. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I know what you mean SodKing
  7. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I would have thrown him one of my T-shirts. Free walking ad, but then again maybe not the kid with underpants showing ;)
  8. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't care what job I am going to interview for, McDonalds or not, I am wearing a shirt and tie. you just prject a much more proffessional and put confadent image. If one guy comes in with a t-shirt and jeans to interview with me and then a guy with a shirt and tie comes in, I am going with the shirt and tie. It tells me He wants the job and is willing to work for it. He also has respect for me and my positiion. IMO
  9. Smitty58

Smitty58 LawnSite Senior Member

I always wear a company shirt when I'm working on someones yard. Last year I had a guy working for me so I had some shirts made for him to wear. Sometimes he would wear them and sometimes he would not. Drove me nuts, no matter how much I told him to wear it he would still show up without the shirt. I just think it is such a small price to pay to wear a company shirt ,but presents a professional image. Whenever I see guys out working on yards dressed in cutoffs or muscle shirts or sometimes no shirt it says to me unprofessional. When I go to bid a job the first thing I do is introduce myself and hand them a business card. Small things say a lot. I am a firm believer in dressing for sucess.
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I can't remember the last time I interviewed for a job. And hopefully I never will again!