Drift Damage

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by kirk1701, Apr 14, 2012.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

2. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

I'm on my blackberry, but are you sure its drift. Can't see where your from. Did it drop to a hard freeze or windburn and lack of rain? Is all around the entire shrub or just one spot?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Humble makes a good point. If its drift--nearby grass should also be killed. Also any weeds near the holly. Winter kill is more uniform. Spray damage is worst on the side closest to the sprayer.

I once had a customer insist that I replace 20 tomatoes that turned brown after a spray in late September. Lucky I finally noticed that it was caused by an early frost.

4. kirk1701

Thanks guys

I thought about frost damage but I have about 40 holly up and down that side of the property. Seems like the ones that looked damaged are in the front (Where she sprayed) and they are under large oak tree's so they were somewhat protected from the frost. The ones in the back that have no protection are fine.

5. 360 Lawn Service

360 Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I have 6 hollies, 4 have frost bite, 2 are fine. They are all in a row. The two that are fine get the first ray of sun in the a.m.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. kirk1701

Yu know whats really funny; I have some tomatoes coming up in the garden from last year and they survived the whole ordeal, LOL

Had I set the dam things out they'd be dead as a door nail right now and if I left the ones I planted in pots outside those two nights they too would be dead.

Called the guy from the Ag inspector today and left a message, he gave me his cell number so I hope he gets it and don't come. I mean specially with gas being $3.95 here I'd hate to see him drive 100 miles just for this so I might even call him at 7 AM in the morning (6 AM where he is) and make sure.

7. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Can you post some pics?
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Holly's around here have been succumbing to general evergreen decline, mainly due to wet feet.

Symptoms are similar to your situation, starts at the tips of the new growth, then the rest of the plant starts to deteriorate.

Only in the last year have they started to come out of it as we've gone through a dry cycle.

Also check the dieing leaves for any black spots, or any other sign of disease or over-watering.

So, check your drainage around the hollys first, then suspect chem damage second.