Drill bits

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by packerbacker, Mar 9, 2005.

1. packerbacker

packerbacker LawnSite Bronze Member

Can someone reccomend what kind of drill bit to use to drill holes through tempered steel. Im reattaching my trimmer rack to a different location and Ive gone through 4 metal bits already.

2. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

carbine tip and a good hammer drill also titanium

3. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

you are probably going to use another 6 bits... get a cobalt or carbide bit and go slooooooow, use some oil or wd40 to lube the hole

4. Hacksquat

Hacksquat LawnSite Member

I used a titanium drill bit. Held up fine.

5. packerbacker

thanks guys, im running up to HD to pick some up. Gotta get the trailer ready for work tommorow. First full day out, gotta be ready to go.

6. KathysLGC

KathysLGC LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree with going slow and using oil. Heat will tear up the bit. I've used HD's Blu Mol brand metal bits and there fine. They cost about $7-8 but worth it.
    I usually get a small cup or bottle cap and put some motor oil in it then dip the drill bit in.

7. FrankLandscaping

FrankLandscaping LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Those Bad Dog bits that we picked up at the KY expo are great. Very fast through steel and other hard metals compared to others.

Frank

8. packerbacker

I picked up a Bosch Titanium bit and used a reg drill but it wasnt good enough. I then went back to Home Depot and grabbed a drill for my compressor and Im wizzing right through it.

9. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

this is one of my favorite add-on tools for my drills. it's helped cut down on broken bits if you have the need to drill steel much.

http://www.pressurehandle.com/

10. packerbacker

thats a helluvan idea