Drill Doctor

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by oldrustycars, Apr 30, 2006.

1. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

anyone using the drill doctor? i have the pro model, DD750, sharpens up to 3/4 bits. it works fantastic.
    30 years ago, an old timer showed me how to sharpen bits on a bench grinder, been doing them that way until recently. no one was talking me into a sharpener when i can do them by hand. i was at my friends shop, and we had a gearcase with 30 broken grade 8 bolts. we started with new cobalt bits, they dulled quickly, sharpening them by hand was difficult. we got a Drill Doctor, and they sharpened like new quickly. that job paid for it. anyone doing much drilling needs one of these.

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

Good point, I still sharpen mine on a bench grinder but only drill through metal on occasion. Usually just through wood.

3. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I second your thoughts ORC. Like you I sharpened my own for 40 years on a 1" vertical belt sander rather than a bench grinder. I had a lot better control on the belt sander and I could control the relief angle a little better. About a year ago, Sears had the 750 model on sale for $119 so I bit the bullet since I had a nice stockpile of not so well sharpend bits. It was a good investment when you look at the cost of new bits.

Dutch

4. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

A friend of mine introduced me to the Drill Doctor. She actually used to assemble them in Oregon.

Fantastic little gadgets.

5. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I got one but don't think much of it....I got a sharp edge once but on the second go around it didn't seem to work.. Decided too much trouble better to go get a set of bits each year for $30.

6. dutch1

from Jayhawk

Your thoughts may be correct for the lower priced models, particularly the electric drill powered model, as I have heard similar comments from other users. Needless to say, from my viewpoint anyway, the 750 is the real deal. I have sharpened approsimately 250 bits with excellent results.

Dutch

7. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

dutch, we must have bought them on the same sale. i also got mine at sears for the same price. they said it was a clearance, it wasnt selling well.

8. dutch1

from Jayhawk

ORC,

When I was wanting and needing one, Sears had a price of $149, but didn't have any in stock but indicated that they would have more in stock in a week. When I called back they were $119. They must have cleared them out.

Dutch

9. spymaxx

spymaxx LawnSite Member
    from NC

Stay with the 750 model. I have had my for 1 1/2 years and it works great. The smaller models do not do as well. I have sharpened up to 3/4 inch and carbide also. Works great after you get the hang of it.

10. General Landscaping

General Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I'll second the praises of the drill doctor.

It's hard to put a price on a fresh point whenever you want.

Not everyone is using a $30 dollar set of bits that can be replaced at Home Cheapo.

Good luck finding a new "H" size drill at 6:00 on Friday.

My set has Everything from 3/64" to 1\2' by 64ths, letter and number bits.
    A good set is needed when tapping standard and metric holes with a choice of 75% or 90% thread.(also useful for giving carb jets a little more flow)