Drilling boulder

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by jbailey52, May 9, 2007.

1. jbailey52

jbailey52 LawnSite Bronze Member

Hi, I am looking to drill a 3/4 inch hole in a boulder approx 30" x 34"... this will be a bubbler boulder for a fountain.. many people said I would spend hundreds on several diamond bits, others said just rent a hammer drill and use the bits they give you, starting with small and working up... is it possible?

2. Greybeard

Greybeard LawnSite Member

I'd vote for the second method, and test it on a smaller rock first. We've drilled a lot of concrete, but not stone, so please post your results. If you're going to be doing this regularly, I'd recommend the Bosch 11224VSR tool - about $200 at the Home Cheapo, and it be used as a chipping hammer or drill, too. We've got 3 of them, and they work better and longer than some of the bigger ones. Good luck.

3. jbailey52

as of right now this is a one time thing.. I just want to know how it is done.. I mean we have all seen the big boulders that are drilled.. so obviously its not impossible... anyone else have suggestions?

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

for a small 3/4 hole, you can use any hand held hammer drill and a 3/4 hammer drill bit. No big deal there. Whatever you do, don't start out with a small bit and try to work up to 3/4. It's not wood. Stone will not cut or chip away as easily.

5. jbailey52

my question is the boulder will be 2.5 - 3' deep.. are bits that long? Do i need to buy one or can I rent a 3' bit?

6. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Nope, don't make them that long that I know of. Question, what kind of boulder is it... granite? Hardness varies with different types of rock.
    Most big boulders used for fountains are drilled towards the top of the boulder then across and out. So you don't have to drill all the way through to the top.
    Or the water tube is actually outside the boulder and lays over the top held down by stones and hidden from the back.

7. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Here are two ways to go about it.

Attached Files:

8. jbailey52

my question is the boulder will be 2.5 - 3' deep.. are bits that long? Do i need to buy one or can I rent a 3' bit?

this is basically it.. but the boulder will be bigger and smoother (they are big river boulders)

[​IMG]

9. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

10. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

One contractor I know found a rock in the pit that already had been drilled (Probably for blasting), You could call your gravel pits and see if they already have some sitting around.