drilling holes in bucket

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by bobbyg18, Aug 19, 2006.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i have just purchasded a toothed bar for my skid steer and need to drill 2 holes in the side of the bucket for the 3/4" bolts...my question is how to drill the holes, with what drill bit?...

2. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

I would find someone who is good with a torch. Drilling the cutting edge will take a while and you will probably eat up a few bits depending how hard it is.

3. minimax

minimax LawnSite Senior Member

Use a 3/4" hole saw (lenox makes good metal hole saws) and alot of cutting oil and take your time.Drill the pilot hole first with 1/4" split point bit.You can also rent magdrill a your local rental shop works like a drill press.good luck.

minimax

4. Rickco

Rickco LawnSite Member

Go to a local welding shop that has a plasma cutter. This will cut the holes so clean you will swear they were drilled and will take 20-30 seconds.

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

You definatly will need a Mag drill to drill 3/4 holes you try drill them by hand with a 1/2 drill it will rip your arms off if the bit grabs. A plasma torch will cut the holes cleaner than a oxy/act torch.

A guy with a steady hand can burn a nice clean hole.

6. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I had to drill (12-15) 7/8" holes when adding my 'rezloh edge'

I used a magnetic base drill, and pilot hole ~3/8" with split point

took an hour + (slow RPM and adequate parafin based cutting oil)

The plasma is a good option!

7. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

$20 and took 10 minutes at the local welders shop...good deal, thanks for the advice...bg

[​IMG]