Drilling holes in gas tanks now

Discussion in 'Stolen Equipment' started by nosparkplugs, May 31, 2008.

1. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

It must be getting bad now, national trend thieves are now drilling holes in gas tanks to drain you dry. The higher the vehicle the faster it's done, was on CNN today. Its "catching On" CNN said, the media needs to be muzzled giving out these Ideas to folks

2. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

I seen that also. It's as bad as stealing the catalytic converters

3. DeereHauler

DeereHauler LawnSite Senior Member

haha, next they will be discussing what are the best tools, and equipment used to perform this theft.....stupid media.

the catalytic converter theft has hit the scranton/wilkes barre area hard. they stole dozens of them in a week or 2.

4. Dunn's

Dunn's LawnSite Bronze Member

If you guys haven't noticed some hardware store are starting to put syphon pumps on the front page of their ads. Peices of s#!t. They figure they will make money of anything they can. One week it even had a pair of blot cutters right next to it on the page.

5. jim163

jim163 LawnSite Member

If I ever caught someone drilling a hole in my tank it would be a very sh!tty day for him.

6. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

If you see it happening, Just throw matches at them. Draining gas that way has got to be very messy. :laugh:

Dan

7. nosparkplugs

nosparkplugs LawnSite Gold Member

sadistic, but effective; would that be murder

8. CrewKut

CrewKut LawnSite Member

Actually, with the price of gas, I think that the theft of gas could be considered suicide. :)

Dan

9. scholzee

scholzee LawnSite Member
    from NY

Most gasoline powered cars and trucks from the about 1996 and up you cannot siphon gas from the filler tube. There is a check ball which if the vehicle rolls over seals gas from leaking out the filler tube. This same ball prevents a siphon tube from going down the filler tube, so don't buy a locking gas cap either you do not need it. That is why they are drilling holes in the tanks because they cannot siphon like the old days.

10. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

At one store where I buy my locks and chains they have bolt cutters right next to them:laugh: