1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Drilling out bolt hole on blade?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by justgeorge, Aug 14, 2012.

1. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Mower blades are very hard to cut or drill. You will end up burning up more bits than it is worth. And there is the chance of what jsslawncare said. If nothing else find some one that can use the ols blades and sell them or something but the whole drilling out eh hole deal is going to be a lot more costly and trouble than it is worth.

2. justgeorge

justgeorge LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I thought of that, and I have a step bit, but A) I don't think it's in 1/16" increments and B) when there is already a 5/8" hole in the blade no way to center it.

3. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

Looking at the manual there is a bushing that goes into the blade before the bolt goes through to the spindle.

never mind.....I didn't refresh my page and missed that you had sorted that out.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

My boss/owner/paper pusher was going to be smart one day and try this, He spent close to 40 bux for a bit and chucked it in the press. I could hear that blade laughing at him clear across the shop.....

5. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

My boss once (in a shop I worked at before this one) tried to take some 21" blades and cut them to fit a 20" mower. He got laughed at as well

6. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

My boss brought me a couple of boxes of 21" mulch blades, and wants me to cut 1/2 off them so they will fit 60" dixie choppers...20 1/2 blades...
    I built a jig for my 14" cutoff saw...The cutoff wheel cuts for about 10 seconds and then flexes the wheel sideways...He bought me a better wheel...supposedly...I'll let you know...

I have tried enlarging the blade hole in a drillpress...:hammerhead:the blade laughed and made this terrible noise.....

If anybody in the Tampa Area wants to trade 20 1/2' blades for 21" mulching blades...lets talk...

7. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

Slapper, you could reduce the cutting time by half--if you cut the 1/2" off of one end only!!!:laugh:

Do you have access to or know someone who has a plasma cutter?

My bet is that Rob has one, since he's a vehicle body guy. If you would pull that BBQ unit up his way, you could swap him out some ribs/steak for the cutting job.:drinkup:

Probably not a good idea though--the BBQ aroma may pull in a few of the local Daisy's.:nono:

8. piston slapper

Maybe..... if I threw in some of that good...all day long...slow cooked ...melt in your mouth...finger likkin BBQ....just maybe I could find someone to trade me some 20 1/2 blades.....not really looking forward to any further attempts on trimming the blades...
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Dang Slapper..... All this dirty talk..... Now I gotta drive ALL the way back up town for BBQ !!!!

Talk like that needs to be after 8:00 pm...... :(

10. piston slapper

Sorry bout that chief....just trying to motivate those would be dixie chopper for scag blade traders...
    At least I didn't mention the bakedbeans on the lower rack basted by the drippings off the inch thick porkchops..
    It is after 8pm ....isn't it.....
    Posted via Mobile Device