Drinking oil

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by GrassGroomers, Jul 10, 2004.

1. GrassGroomers

GrassGroomers LawnSite Member

Hello,
    I have a 36" metro fix 15 hp kohler and it is drinking about 11oz. of oil in 1.5 hours. The mower was only 15 months old when it started (after a oil change). Is this normal for and Exmark with a kohler powering it?

Dealer looked at it once and said there was nothing wrong with mower and I should be walking in smoke at that rate. The mower does not smoke.
    The mower has about 450 hr. or so.

2. GrassGroomers

Is any one eles haveing this trouble?

Took back to dealer and they say that dirt has worn the motor out in about 65 days, could this happen? if so how much dirt or fine dust would it take?
    Would like some help from Exmark.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Grass,

I'm a little confused. If the oil is leaking that much you should be able to find the leak. If it is consuming or burning that much you should be able to see the smoke very easily. Check the spark plug to see if it is oil fouled. If it is buy a new one and run it for a day or two and then check it again to see if it is fouled as well. If the oil is getting into the combustion chamber at the rate you descrived it should be fouling plugs pretty quickly I would think.

Dirt can actually destroy and enigne in minutes. Years ago I had a small Briggs engine score the cylinder after about 8 hours of use as well.

You may want to shoot me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com with your name, serial numer and the name of your dealer and I can give them a call. The oil has got to be going someplace.

Thanks,

Terry

4. GrassGroomers

Terry,
    The cylinder wallsare not scored, it is smooth. The mower runs find and does not smoke, pluge is a little fouled but still good.

The mower consums that much oil. it is getting into the chamber.
    In two days of mowing with this mower (after getting back from dealer & kohler rep) it has run for 11 hours off and on, and has consumed all but 2.5 oz of a quart of oil. The dealer has said that there is no absoultly, positivly no way that the mower is consuming that much oil and not somking and no loss of power. The dealer and the rep had the head off the mower and still said it was dirt. Like I said the cyclnder wal in fine .

5. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

I have the same motor, and similar oil use. the unit has 70 -90 hrs. I got it used and put on a tiny tach, it now reads 70 but the unit had VERY few hours when I got it. Anyway I switched to 10-30 Mobil 1 at about 35 hrs and recently changed oil and filter at 60 hrs. and since then, when powering down, it puffs out a little oil smoke. Any ideas?
    Norm
    p.s. it didn't consume any oil befor the 60 hr oil change. now it does go somewhere, just not much out the pipe...

6. eXmark

GrassGroomer,

Please send me a pm with the name of your dealer, your name, the serial number of your machine and the name of the Kohler rep if you recall. My e-mail address is terry.eckert@exmark.com

Thanks

Terry

7. Hustlinfireman

Hustlinfireman LawnSite Member

I had the same problem up until 2 days ago when I went back to my dealer to pick my mower up with a new motor. My unit was less than 3 months old with 15-20 hrs on it and had burned right at 3 qts of oil from the unit after the oil change at 5 hrs. I took it to the dealer they looked at it and said they would take care of it. a few days later they called and said it was ready to be picked up.
    They said that the spacer on the air filter rod was not the right spacer, the air filter gasket on the bottom was not seating right and allowed debris into the cylinder. but the new motor is running fine so far. great service from my dealer

8. Movinfr8

Movinfr8 LawnSite Member

Just added 13 or so ounces to my oil guzzler!! at $5.00 a quart!! maybe I should go back to dino juice!
    Any ideas?
    It is an 03 model metro 36 15, Kohler, no visible smoke, xcept on power down, and when choking on startup...
    Norm

9. eXmark

Norm,

I'd get the unit in and have it inspected.

Thanks

Terry

10. Oldtimer

Oldtimer LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of oil are you using and how did you break in the engine?

Oldtimer