Drinking On The Job

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by South Florida Lawns, Aug 23, 2005.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Do any of you guys drink on the job? I have been seeing more and more LCO's drinking beer around here during the last few lawns of the day. I have mixed feelings about this, for one I know that all this heat kills ya by the end of the day and I'm sure most of us are hurting bad, a few cold ones sure help ease the pain. However I think that it gives the wrong message, kinda unprofessional IMO. What are your thoughts?

2. HighGrass

HighGrass LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Z5 MA

There is nothing finer than a small glass of chilled Jose Quervo and a Corona......................AFTER WORK! IMHO Drinking on the job opens several cans of worms. Like what if there is an accident? Or what about the heat? Beer only aggrevates dehydration. Drinking has it's time and that time is AFTER WORK!

3. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

No way would I ever drink on the job. Not only illegal in my area but would look very unprofessional. There is not a single client I have that would put up with that for a second. If any person came to my house drinking whether he was a plumber, lco, electrician or whatever I would turn him around right fast like and show him the road. Then when he left I would call the law and report him for driving and drinking. I feel VERY strongly about anyone drinking and driving (long story). However, I have no problem when you get home you can get just as s--t faced as you like as long as you are on your on property. That is your right and I feel just as strongly about a persons rights on his property.

4. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto

I am not a drinker but I have had customer come out and offer a(as in one) Beer to my help on really hot days. I let it slide as a jester of good will. But Let it be known this is a one time or not a regular practice to both the customer and Employees. I have never had a problem with drinking on the job because it doesn't happen.

5. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

you gotta be kidding? The liabilty issue it would raise is enough to say no, Let alone the fact that beer is a diaretic and will cause more fluid loss.

6. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

But look at it the other way...it will eliminate some competition. :waving:

7. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Who ya kiddin? You may have seen someone mowing lawns drinking beer at the end of a day on thier machines but you won't see a real LCO doing that...

8. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping LawnSite Gold Member

I deffinatly don't drink period, let alone on a clients property!

9. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I installed a second cup holder on my Z so I can keep 2 cold ones for those big yards... Nothin like booze cruisin down the fairway :D

10. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

People do some dumb things around here, you would be amazed at what you see. Just the other day I saw what appeared to be a dad driving a Volvo station wagon with 2 kids in car seats, and he was drinking a Heineken. A bit strange to me.