1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

drip emitter pipe

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Mar 24, 2005.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in overall opinions on drip irrigation. Is the preferred method the pipe that comes with emitters (brown) or pipe and putting in the emitters?

I am not looking necessarily for the cheapest but just the overall most used setup.

Thanks for looking.

John :waving:
  2. We hardly use the pipe with emitters built right in....not very flexible in planting beds. That being said, we do use it when we have a hedge or a straight line of bushes/plants....The biggest problem that I see with it sometimes is when it is buried directly in the root zone of an aggressive plant..in my area that would be oleandars....then the roots invade and you know what comes next.
  3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

Exactly,that and the problem with the water minerals clogging the built in ones.I prefer customizing the system to the individual plant needs and for that I use adjustable,cleanable,emmitters punched in by hand per plant.I don't bury my line anyway I cover with mulch.That way it's easy to see a problem and repair it,you dont have the rootball enveloping it and clogging it,and gofers don't chew on it as much.
  4. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info. I knew I could count on some great feedback.

Again, this must be where all the intelligent people are hanging out!!!

5. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

Netafim (brown with built in emiiters)..........becoming the only way to go in my opinion
  6. JeffY

JeffY LawnSite Senior Member

We use Rain Bird drip products. We just installed literally 3 miles of 18" OC drip line at a new client's house. Took just over 3 days for a crew of 3 to lay with the evergreens, trees, and plants we had to deal with. We just had to be careful of kinking the pipe since they kink so easily, but at least it's easy to straighten back out how it was before.
  7. Groundmaster

Do you use that netafim in planting beds or rows of plants?

Because how can it be "the only way to go" for you if the plants are not in a straight line or more than 18-24" apart?
    Just curious.
  8. Ground Master

Ground Master LawnSite Senior Member

You can use netafim both ways tony.

In a planting bed you pretty much end up watering the entire bed-not just the area around the plant. But, remember as the plant matures its roots will extend beyond the initial placement of a typical emitter.

Also, when you consider maintenance, netafim in a planter bed is many times easier to maintain then a typical drip layout where you have several emitters and 1/4" tubing snaking all around. We've all seen planter beds like this. You almost have to stay out of the planter bed or you risk damage to a typical drip system(stepping on emitters, distribution tubing, etc.)

i've only used netafim twice. Once for a vegi garden and the other in a large planter bed.

I've attended a few classes/shows on netafim and it really opened my eyes.

At one show a contractor gave a presentation on his experiences with netafim (about 10 years worth). He has done up to 10 acre parks(Denver metro area).

On a side note, netafim was created back in 1965 and is the 2nd largest irrigation manufacturer in the world.
  9. telcomac

telcomac LawnSite Member

I've used Netafim in several applications. Something to consider with large or odd shaped planting beds, is to use "blank" tubing and then "tee" off the blank to a closed loop or ring using the drip pipe around the plant and sizing accordingly. :) Great site! enjoy all of the expertise!!!!
  10. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

I try to avoid any use of 1/4 spaggetti line at all.If I do use it it is just to add an emmitor to the far side of a tree.I pin my main line down around the plants on the upside,and punch directly into it.No need for double or triple emmitter's if you use Dial-A-Flow adj ones,and punch them righton TOP the line not on the side of the line