1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drip filter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by phareous, Jul 21, 2011.

1. phareous

phareous LawnSite Member

I'm a homeowner who has put in my own system but I called a professional to extend the system to the back and add drip irrigation since I've been inudated with other projects. This guy has "irrigation" is in his company name and has been doing it for 25 years he claims. When I looked at his wiring job he used non-grease caps which I had to do back and fix.

But anyway my main question is he didn't put any mesh filters on the drip valves. He claims they aren't needed. I think they are. Its city water. What do you recommend?
  2. phareous

phareous LawnSite Member

I should add that he used non-grease caps (ie little orange caps) and vinyl electrical tape on a wire splice which he was going to bury. This is why I don't think he knows what he is doing
  3. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

To be quite honest, if it is good city water, I wouldn't worry about it. I work on systems that are up to 20 years old with filters on the drip line and whenever I check them, there is nothing in the filters at all. I really don't think it's an issue unless you have hard water or are on a well.
  4. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

Certainly his electrical connections are not proper and need improvement.

I agree with Dana on the not required filter with good city water.
  5. phareous

phareous LawnSite Member

Ok excellent. I am wanting to direct bury the wire splice (its in the middle of a run in the yard) so I'm going to try the solder butt connections and heatshrink tubing, maybe with some liquid electrical tape for good measure
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

As long as wire splices are mechanically sound, you can 'pot' them in silicone caulk.

By the way, I've seen buried splices protected only with electrical tape (very carefully wrapped) that survived for decades
  7. Me too. Some of these wraps done back in the early 60s are amazingly well done. No stinginess on the amount of tape used. The tape guys today treat the stuff like its gold. One or two wraps and that's it.

Still watertight is the way to go.
  8. Dripit good

Dripit good LawnSite Bronze Member

For sure. As long as you treat it like a hostage they can and will last.
  9. rlitman

rlitman LawnSite Bronze Member

That's probably true for solid copper wires. The stranded wires that go to your solenoids need a more watertight connection if you want things to last.

Oh, and I've had disc filters on my drip irrigation system, but never found anything in them either (also city water, but I'm thinking of installing a shallow well sooner or later). The more important thing, is purge caps. They make a cap that goes at the end of your line, which dumps the water that first rushes into the line when it's turned on, hopefully sending any dirt out the end. It also releases the pressure in the line when it's turned off, which can prevent dirt from being sucked back into the line.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I like the purge caps - I see very few netafim install with those caps