Drip filter

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by phareous, Jul 21, 2011.

1. phareous

phareous LawnSite Member

He installed all rain bird stuff. I assume they make purge caps? I'm probably going to redo the emitters. He basically put foot-tall sprays on the front of the beds...not very good for appearance sake. I was thinking of switching to drip emmitters, or at least something thats a bit more discrete

2. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Netafim has the caps with the inner diaphragm, so that the water can momentarily surge from the pipe end.

3. irritation

irritation LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like micro-sprays. They might not be eye appealing but for beds that get reworked and changed alot they are nice because you can move them around easily.
    I've seen plain wirenuts in valve boxes that have lasted 20+ years. I'm not saying it's right and I know they will eventually fail.

4. Wet_Boots

Plain wirenuts in deep dry valve boxes will outlast the solenoids

5. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

I dont use filters unless I know the water is gross. Wirenuts and greese packs for me.

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

With Netafim, properly installed, filters are no big deal since they have a flushing capability.I'm using Netafim with two cistern systems that have only the flush ends:workum fine.

7. irritation

These are not deep dry valve boxes, almost all are full of water during the spring.

8. Wet_Boots

Constant damp would undoubtedly speed corrosion, but I know from the decades-old deep boxes I encountered, with plain wire nuts, or even taped connections, it didn't seem to be an issue with connections not touching soil. With today's half-height boxes, a connection figures to be in contact with the soil, so I can understand waterproofing them.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  9. irritation

Some of these so called "waterproof wirenuts" are not so waterproof.
    I've undone some King nuts that clearly have corrosion caused by water.

10. Ditto...Kings are just a notch above dry. Not a bad idea to give it a couple of rolls of electrical tape at the bottom.