Drip irrigation in turf

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by JoeinJasper, Jan 2, 2008.

1. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any experience with plowing in drip lines in turf? If so, do you have any recommendations or precautions? Joe

2. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We got the same problem that you guys have...no water and we are looking at installing that drip line with embedded emitters in small media next to street.. It would seem like the tool that is used to put that flex pipe in up north could be modified to install this stuff. It would only need to go in the ground a few inches.

3. mikecaldwell1204

mikecaldwell1204 LawnSite Member

When I worked for Valleycrest we took care of corporate Publix which had an area that had drip installed which was supposed to be a plant area but got sodded over instead and the grass is still doing fine. In fact its some of the best turf there. However you cannot plow in drip as it will stretch and break. I do believe someone makes a machine to do it as I always see the ad for it in Turf magazine.

4. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

netafim makes a drip line that can be burried. I have toyed with the idea in my own yard. Its burried 6" deep and lines are spaced about every 18 inches apart.

5. JoeinJasper

Thanks... I have seen pictures of a 3 shanked plow installing it into a football field, but can't find where I 'filed' that magazine. Joe

6. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Read the same article. Vermeer makes the plow for installation.

7. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You might be able to install emitter line with a blade that has a feed chute, instead of trying to pull it.

8. JoeinJasper

Yes, as I recall the plow carried 3 rolls of tubing on it and plowed it in rather than pulling it. Joe

9. Southern Signature

Southern Signature LawnSite Member

why not put sprays or rotors, drip is usally for trees or shrubs and hard to reach areas... are you trying to save money, time, material... i'd like to know. Thanks

10. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i'm intrigued w/ the neatafilm for turf... but unfortunately haven't seen it done... seems cool, but I'm afraid of the aeration or compaction or just our clay soils screwing things up