Drip Irrigation / Netafim Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Rhino59, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Rhino59

Rhino59 LawnSite Member

Hey guys - I'll be up front, I work for a Vermeer dealer and I'm looking for your input. Is the "drip irrigation" going to catch on? Is anyone installing this pipe, and where are you installing it? Septic fields? Sports fields? Residential?

We've got a machine that will install either 1, 2, or 3 dripper lines at a time - but I'm not seeing the market for it yet. Just curious what you guys were seeing and if there's demand or a need for this type of machine out there.

Thanks guys - hope everyone is starting to get busy again!

2. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

We install it in beds or along a tree line only. I have installed it once under sod , it was not successful.

3. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

What do you mean by "it was not successful"? I have a need to install a whole wack of it under sod this season and I'm a bit apprehensive already about it....

4. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

Have never done it in sod, but the conclusion here was that it was not successful, as AI said.

The idea is great, but not practical in my opinion. Aerating would pose the most immediate problem, along with uneven distribution.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

If we install it in turf, we install it before we lay sod. So a machine would not be of benefit to our applications.

My father designed a system for a Porsche dealership where they did not want any sprays (no water on cars), so all the turf was irrigated with netafim drip tubing. It went down before the sod, by hand.

6. hoskm01

hoskm01 LawnSite Fanatic

How did it work though, in the long run?

7. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

I love it i have some pics somewhere of it pushing 25 gpm

I think its a great water saver...For turf we dont think its a great idea around here...

8. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

It works, but you have to look at a couple things. What happens when the phone company comes and spades a new line... they just cut through 200 ft of netafim. good luck repair that and unclogging all of those lines.

A city north of here requires it in all of the parkways, I've seen multiple cases where the irrigation contractor lays the netafim grid, and utility companies come in and cut right through it.

I think the idea of drip in the turf is an awesome idea, but I don't think it will ever be a practical deal.

Like ethanol fuel, awesome concept, but too many repercussions in the short term/long term.

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

The reason we did it was the landscaper was 90% done when we started the instal. WE had a little area that we thought was going to be all bed. Ended up a 10x 3 strip of grass between the walkway and bed. We tied the sod into the bed drip and you could see come augest exactly where the drip tubes were. They weregreen , rest burned up.

10. johnnyaqua

johnnyaqua LawnSite Member

Here in south Florida we have installed thousands of feet under sod for the last 10 years. It is only as effective as the filtration and pressure regulation used at the water source. It is not a good choice in places where the landscaping is constantly being changed. We have done estates,commercial plazas and HOA entrances. It is not under water restriction in south Florida so it is getting to be even more in demand.