Drip Irrigation

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by kcas72, Jun 2, 2008.

1. kcas72

kcas72 LawnSite Member

I have a question for drip irrigation experts. I am installing a drip irrigation zone in my automatic sprinklers. I am going to install 2 different zones. One will be for a drip hose, and the other for spray emmiters. These will be used for a shrub/flower bed. The bed will have about 3 inches of mulch as well. My question is, should the drip hoses be installed over or under the mulch? If I install it over, I wonder if the water will make its way down to the soil. If I install it under, I;m afraid they could get clogged. I'm confused. I'd appreciate any advice.

Thanks

2. lowvolumejeff

lowvolumejeff LawnSite Member

Drip along under the mulch. Jeff

3. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Ditto or sub-surface.

4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

What they said!

5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

wait,did you say soaker hose?

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Are you using drip brands like Netafim, Salco, Toro? Or a black porous soakerhose from home depot?

7. kcas72

kcas72 LawnSite Member

It's going to be the Toro brand, and it's going to be a zone in my underground sprinkler system. I'm not sure exactly what I'm going to use yet, but it will either be their 1/2" drip hose, or the 1/2" hose that you connect emmiters to, or 1/2" hose that you can connect 1/4" tubing to that you can put right around the shrubs.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

9. kcas72

kcas72 LawnSite Member

Thanks Kiril. Two questions:

1) You say if I must get Toro. Do you recommend something else instead? I'm open to any brands.

2) How confident can I be that it won't get clogged? Not even from roots, but I'm thinking more about soil.

Thanks,

10. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic