Drip Question

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Tony Clifton, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

AS you guys know, if you don't run drip consistently there can be a problem with roots going to where the water is (which is in the tubing) and clogging up the emitters. In my brief search I could not find any info, but isn't some of the newer stuff treated to burn off roots on contact with the emitter or am I tripping?

2. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

No, sorry, those days are over. I have never had problems with root intrusion, though some plants will get into the drip tubes, I suppose. Netafim makes a filter with the crap to poison the roots. Another good reason for above-ground irrigation. :clapping:

3. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

Tony back in the day nurseries would use a product call "spin-out" which would repel roots from the buckets, I believe it was copper-chromate or something like that. But I believe it was taken off the market for environmental reasons, I wouldn't doubt if there was a drip tube spin-off or something but doubt that it would still be on the market. Anyways drip is usually flat worn out before root intrusion would be an issue.

4. irrigationgrl

irrigationgrl LawnSite Member

Question: Why wouldn't you run drip consistently? Are you not installing timers with your systems? I keep my emitters above ground punched into the main line. Pin down and bury it in between. Are you using 1/4" tubing with an emitter on the end...punched into the main drip line below ground? Or are you burying your dripline emitters and all?

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Some folks, in certain areas that get water from the skies consistently, sporadically use the drip line after the plants have become established. This long period of non-use could allow enough time for roots to grow into the emitters or other outlets. Yes I've seen it grow into drip emitters.

6. Tony Clifton

Tony Clifton LawnSite Senior Member

Exactly.

Do you use much drip? Would you consider it a big problem? I have seen it happen, and have heard that it is one of the downfalls of drip. The concept makes sense to me, but in terms of time do you think it is something that happens in days, weeks, months, years?

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

Keep it above ground.. or bury it no more then an inch with your mulch /bark.
    I personally wouldn't worry about it, Kinda over kill! Like my dad last year took out a 6 foot tall apple tree that was 6 feet away from the drain field of their septic, he was paranoid the roots would get into the drainage....

It really depends on what kind of drip you are using. Most drip require yearly maintenance anyways so for it to get bad would be someone on your part ( unless its completely buried. I also think for that to happen, you would be watering too frequently and not enough run time. The roots seem to be relying solely on that drip emitter source of water.

8. BrandonV

around here I tell people drip is fine for and establishment period (3-5 years) which is all fine and dandy, to have it a whole lot longer it becomes a lot of maintenance... squirrels around here chew on it, deer pull it up, landscapers cut it, it clogs up whatever. [opinion]Its temporariness is one of the reasons people in raleigh/LEED and others are pushing drip so hard, they don't want you to have irrigation, so drip has that advantage because it'll be worn out.[/opinion]

9. AI Inc

AI Inc LawnSite Fanatic

ANother advantage of drip is no one sees it running. If you have 30$k in plantings an a water ban , you can save those plantings.

10. BrandonV

sneaky sneaky

photo_05.jpg