Drip Questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HokieAg07, Feb 3, 2009.

1. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Today's topic of discussion will be drip...Please bare with my longwindedness.

Issue #1

Client has good bit of drip in backyard planting beds. Damn dogs are pulling it all up and chewing on it. Granted the mulch cover hasnt been that spectacular I think the canines hear the water moving through the tube and decide to screw with it. I am trying to decide my next move; either way I am replacing all the tube as it is pretty badly damaged. Currently it isnt stapled down very well but I am not so sure that stapling it down very well is going to curtail the problem. Other option is to bury the driptube a few inches under the surface but that is very labor intensive and again not so sure the dogs would even leave that alone.

Any ideas?

Issue #2

Doing a design for a drip system at a residence. Usually we dont fool with residential stuff but both this case and the one mentioned above are exceptions to the rule. Anyways our landscape designer is renovating the entire property and the clients want a price to irrigate all the new plant material. I have no problem designing a conventional drip system and have already completed one for the project.

The problem lies with the fact that the clients have expressed interest in using rainwater harvesting to supply the drip system. I am eager to produce a design using this method however I dont know what resources or products I have at my disposal or what special factors need to be considered when designing this type of system.

Anyone care to give me some tips?

2. TRILAWNCARE

TRILAWNCARE LawnSite Senior Member

Issue #1 Getting rid of dogs an option.

Issue #2 Don't do it.

3. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Sell a nice deep mulch cover. payup

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Dogs will dig up anything. At my last house my dog dug the lateral lines and heads. unless the dogs are gone drip will always be a problem unless it's 12" deep. Not all dogs do it, but your customer's apparently do. Some dogs grow out of it after 2-4 years. Mine stopped chewing after 3 years - not tobacco but everything else :)

And whatever Mike suggests, do the opposite.............

5. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah they like to dig at the pvc as well....

6. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You mean, "head towards the dark"?

7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

My dog used to chew up my deck and stairs in the back yard. I had a lot to replace before we sold it.

8. bobw

bobw LawnSite Senior Member

#1 - Welcome to the world of drip irrigation.

#2 - Very simple, you just have to filter and pressurize the water, and then have some sort of automatic valve that will flip to municipal supply whenever the rain catchment system is empty, along with appropriate back flow contamination prevention. System should pay for itself in 300 years or so.

9. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

It seems to me that no one around here never takes the time to properly staple down drip. Drip has nothing to contain the thrust and should be stapled down solidly all the way to the emitters. I use jute staples for 700 poly and down. I don't think it will completely stop the dogs, but it would slow them down.

10. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Well said......:laugh::laugh::laugh: