1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drip Questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HokieAg07, Feb 3, 2009.

1. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Or go galvanized
  2. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

Thats what I was thinking as well. Given the small scale nature of this project, I dont think it would be very cost effective to have a rain harvesting system when the municipal water use will be very little anyways. I do think its a cool idea and would love to learn more about it though.
  3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Drip bites; get over it you guys. It was made for straight row crops; the beancounters convinced you all this was a cheap, efficient way of laying water down. It has not worked with a damn in my experience because the emitters are too far spaced to provide proper application in horticultural applications. You'll all keep using it; and plants will die. 'Nuff said.
  4. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

But where would we use our drip shrubblers?
  5. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Sch 80 risers with sch 40 couplers. :hammerhead:
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

Minus the dogs, and with proper usage, and mulch cover, drip can work. I'd still rather spray, given enough water, and room to work.
  7. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

OK Mr Smarty pants. What would you install along the side of a house in the 3' border where there are 4 shrubs along the house spaced 5'-10' apart? Separate sprinkler heads for each shrub? 1/2" drip pipe around the house with 2-3 emitters around the base of the shrub works well.
  8. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

#1- Electric fence? Customers may not want to shock their dogs, but worth consideration.

#2- With the lack of rain in our area, rainwater is pretty much nonexistent. Cost vs. benefit analysis= ?
  9. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

So it's better to spray an area with shrubs and flowers with 2"-4" of mulch or rocks that the water has to filter through first? Or get soaked up by the mulch in areas where there are no plantings? You might have plenty of water in WA. We get about 12" of moisture all year and California, Kansas, and Nebraska take enough of it. We need to use water wisely.
  10. HokieAg07

HokieAg07 LawnSite Senior Member

#1 - Without revealing who client is, doesnt really matter what it takes to keep the stuff irrigated as it is bascially done for nothing. If I need to convert to conventional spray heads so be it.

#2 - Yeah the cost analysis was done and in the back of my mind before I even came on here. I highly doubt it will be financially feasible but it sure would be cool which is why I wanted some info.