Drip Questions

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by HokieAg07, Feb 3, 2009.

1. ARGOS

ARGOS LawnSite Silver Member

In general I agree that drip stinks, but not for all the same reasons. The biggest issue is that 90% of it is not installed correctly. HO's don't know how pressure compensation, water pressure, and water volume play a part in drip. They go into their local home depot and start buying parts and slap them together haphazardly. "I can do my whole property on one zone at different elevations." Drip also causes saline build up at the point of emitters, especially because they aren't moved. I read an article about redwoods planted in landscapes are distressed in 5 to 6 years because of saline concentrates directly located below unmoved emitters.

BUT in my area drip is part of the irrigation business like it or not. In spring I get a lot of service calls from people that had their drip installed by a LCO and it is failing after being installed for a few years. Drip is planned obsolescence that requires yearly maintenance, especially because HO and some contractors by the crap parts.

2. Stuttering Stan

Stuttering Stan LawnSite Bronze Member

Good point. Sorry ML

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Not really, if the LA/"designers" screwed up the layout, what are we supposed to do? You guys deal with h/os, that's your problem.

4. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

I forgot, it's Mike's way or no way. "Not my problem."

5. DanaMac

DanaMac LawnSite Fanatic

Check you local rain water regulations

Rain water article

6. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Silly, silly man ..... :hammerhead:

Use the right dripline for the application and install it properly.

Issue #1: Bury the line.

Issue #2: What Bob said.

7. mitchgo

mitchgo LawnSite Silver Member

This is what I would say to the client. hah.

"As an irrigator, I can't prevent your dog from chewing things up. As a dog owner, I can prevent my dog from chewing on things. So train your f-in dog!"

well, something along that.

I've seen people get rid of their dogs because they kept destroying the sprinklers.
    For the most part the drip I have seen in areas with bad dogs the homeowner knows there is no hope.

8. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

You could always just plant rocks.

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

See, you are catching on .... :clapping:

10. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Toro makes a sub surface dripline with a built in herbicide to prevent root intrusion if that might be a problem. It's connectors are alot easier to work with than netafim, thats for sure.

Not sure on the price, but the one time I used it, it was pretty nice.

Rain water reclamation is a great idea, but the setup is very expensive. Can you sell them on some drought tolerant plants? If they are truly wanting to "GO GREEN", they will remove their high water usage plants, and almost throw out the irrigation all together.

Or, have them do drip with low water usage plants. Beat these words into them, SUSTAINABLE, SUSTAINABLE, SUSTAINABLE.