Drip zone problem

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Dirt Boy, May 28, 2007.

1. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Installed a zone for drip, it worked fine for the first year (that I know!!)
    Now, it (valve) won't shut off.

Starts out from manifold - 1" Baccara valve (rated down to .5 gpm)
    runs to drip area, into 25 psi pressure regulator, and into drip line.
    There is only about 18 1gph emitters. (.3 gpm)

I can make the zone shut off by closing the valve regulator off, or opening the end of the drip line.

So, I would like your input if my thinking is right.

I am assuming that valve won't close because there is not enough "usage" and hence pressure differential across valve. So, since I didn't need any more emitters for plants, I installed a VAN head just outside the area, figuring that that will increase the gpm enough for valve to work. NOT
    Gutted the valve, flushed it, still don't work.

I am guessing I need to install a valve that can tolerate a lower flow. Would you agree this with this logic?

Thanks a bunch!

2. jirrigation

jirrigation LawnSite Member

3. If the valve has a flow control, try turning the flow control down until the valve will fire and shut down from the controller. I had a similar problem with a irritrol valve and this solved my problem...if that does not work the Rain Bird DV-100 is a great low flow valve.

4. bumper

bumper LawnSite Member
    from So. Cal

had a similiar problem on manual operation using the bleed screw, crank down the flow control and it fixed itself. Timer operation, never had a problem with shut off,but would try the same thing before trying something else.

5. Dirt Boy

Dirt Boy LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    I don't know about you, but I've learned an awful lot here, just browsing, & reading all the posts.