1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drippity Doo Dah

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Sprinkus, May 19, 2012.

1. Sprinkus

Sprinkus LawnSite Silver Member

Got to do a fun one last week. No sleeves or any type of access to run the irrigation for the pool pots from the the front yard irrigation.
    Nearest tie-in was the water heater piping in the "pool house".
    I was sweating bullets when I soldered the tie-in connection for fear of catching the pool house on fire. Everything went fine until a few hours later when I smelled and saw smoke. Turned out it was the next door neighbor's house. Someone there was burning "leaves".
    Dude didn't want to pay for all copper :rolleyes: so I used what I had on the truck and then transitioned to no hole Techline.
    I would have taken a picture of the Porsche I was working next to but it had a cover on it.

2. Sprinkus

A few more pics.

3. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

You do what you gotta do, nice work. The only thing I did different, was to put the pots in saucers and elevate the pots, drill a hole in the saucers and snake the drip tube up through the bottom of the pot. I hate looking at that spaghetti tubing.
  4. Nicely done. I like those 6" spaced emitter tubes. Most of the time i used microsprays though. Customers seemed to like them better I'm guessing because they could see the water spraying.
  5. greenmonster304

greenmonster304 LawnSite Gold Member

Nice work. I recently ran sleeves for 1/4 drip for pot on the 4 corners of the pool. The designer said the tube could come out of the expansion joint for the coping. We will see how it works, I have my doubts.
    Posted via Mobile Device
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

There is a special clear gel you can spray on surfaces near your soldering, so you don't leave scorch marks or burn the house down.
  7. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

8. Sprinkus

We did end up drilling holes near the bottoms of the pots to hide the tubing. Luckily I still had my old glass/ceramic drill bit on the truck for that.

Thanks for the advice on the heat shielding gel. Next time I get stuck with a job like this I'll remember to pick some up!
  9. I'm waiting for somebody to ask about the backflow.
  10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

I'm still wondering why they didn't do all the half-inch copper in bendable L tubing.