1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drive belt adjustment?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Rather Be Fishing, Aug 18, 2004.

1. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Well, this might sound pretty novice but I've never encounterd this problem before. I've got a new Cub Cadet Commercial 52" belt drive walk-behind, it's still under warrenty but I'd prefer to get her going on my own.

The left drive belt has been pulling itself off the pullies (inward) rather consistantly. Needless to say it's a real hassle to disengage the blades and shut her down frequently to pull the belt back in line. I've tried adjusting the brakes and whatnot to increase tension but with little luck.

it has what they call a "Vari-Touch" drive assembly which is a spring-loaded kick down lever to increase traction in wet conditions. Works great for it's intended desisn but it makes handling the mower a real bear, she pulls hard when the levers are in their lowest position. Regardless, it doesn't do a thing for the belt situation. The left belt has far mopre play than the right belt but I just don't see how to tighten it.

Any thoughts/advice much appreciated!:cool:
  2. xcopterdoc

xcopterdoc LawnSite Senior Member

If its new and not working properly, return it to the dealer for repair. No sense fighting with a new mower!
  3. Rather Be Fishing

Rather Be Fishing LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Can't argue with your logic, I just thought it was something typical of the Cub/Lesco belt drives. My old Snapper (Kees) with the primitive single drive belts is still clocking hours, never had the problem with my Encore or Scag's and eXmarks I've run.

Other than this latest development I'm really pleased with the mowers design and cut, especially for the price I paid. Guess I'll just swallow my pride and call the dealer.
  4. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

Take it back to the dealer. If you start messing with it you could void your warranty.