1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drive Belt Adjustments

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by ealbertson, Mar 13, 2002.

1. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

I have what I believe is a 1995 Viking. It has a 5 speed transmission with a 12.5 hp Kawasaki motor. It has a single v belt for the drive belt. Needless to say I don't have the manual for it. I need to adjust the brakes and drive belts. Any help will be appreciated.

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Thank you for the e-mail. The folowing is from the operators manual unfortuneatley I am unable to attach the diagrams so this may not make much sense. E-mail me at terry.eckert@exmark.com with your mailing address and we'll get a manual sent out ASAP:

3.11 Install and adjust wheel drive caliper linkages and brake linkages.
    a) Remove washers and hairpins connecting wheel drive caliper linkage to brake linkage.

b) Screw threaded end of the longest linkage, on the upper handle assembly, into the swivel on brake arm assembly. Thread the short linkage into caliper swivel. Repeat on opposite side of unit.

FIG. 7
    c) Insert brake linkage ends through wheel drive caliper linkages and drive levers as shown in Fig. 7. DO NOT install hairpins and washers until length adjustments are made.

d) Adjust drive linkage length by threading into or out of the swivel until there is a 3/16” to 1/4” clearance between the linkage assembly and the bottom of the slot in the neutral lock lever (See Figure 8).

FIG. 8
    NOTE: Neutral lock latch clearance should be checked when there is a slight upward force placed on the drive levers to remove any "slack" in the linkage.
    e) Adjust brakes by threading brake linkage into or out of swivel so that when brakes are engaged there is approximately 1/4" of clearance between the end of the drive lever and handle grip (See Figure 8). Install brake linkage through wheel drive caliper linkage, through drive lever, through the 5/16 washer, and through the neutral lock latch. Install hairpin between drive lever and 5/16 washer. Repeat on opposite side of unit.
    NOTE: The neutral lock latches must be able to be moved into the neutral lock position, if not, the brake linkages must be adjusted again.