Drive Belt Blues

Discussion in 'Encore Equipment' started by RCravey, Oct 21, 2006.

1. RCravey

RCravey LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I have a Z-series with a 60 inch deck. I have 140+ hours on the mower and have been through 5 or 6 drive belts (2 in the last 10-12 hours). The first one went with about 15 or 20 hours on the mower. After searching for the tension spring in the grass for a couple hours and getting an overnighted replacement belt ($28...at least the dealer picked up the shipping)...off I went. 20 hours or so later.....similar story. My own little Groundhog Day. I have tried other brands of Kevlar belts with varying success (the ones from TSC seem to last the longest but they are not always on hand). As anyone knows that has changed the drive belt, it is a difficult job unless you can put it up on a rack which makes it marginally less difficult. The tension spring falls to the ground immediately when the belt breaks so you have to pray you find it.
    Other than the drive belt problem and difficult to work on issues, I have enjoyed the mower. It does not ride as smooth as a couple other brands but it cuts nice and is fast. Anybody else have this problem?
    I have been looking for a replacement mower which will be PTO drive and likely another color. Guess I should be sending this to the dealer but I noticed Encore had responded on some other threads.

2. WREBELMACHINE

WREBELMACHINE LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are looking to replace the machine talk to your dealer about a Prowler. It is very smooth running machine has the PTO driveshaft and I have had zero trouble out of mine 840hrs. so far! In this area the prowlers are getting strong. I do not see any extreme models at all or if I do I just have not noticed them. Your mower with that few hours should be worth a good trade in especially if you stay with the same brand.

3. Encore Mfg.

Encore Mfg. LawnSite Member

I would like you to call Mr. Billy Harms at ENCORE, 800-267-4255. He would like to discuss this post w/ you. He is our National Service Manager and has a lot of experience w/ this equipment.