Drive belt for Lazer Z HP

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Mike (MLC), Aug 3, 2002.

1. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Today while I was mowing the pump drive belt went out on my 52" Lazer Z HP. I didn't have an extra so I called a place I knew might have one. It was almost closing time, and they had a belt in stock so I bought 2. Well I should have double checked the part numbers first. Once I was home I figured out that I had bought a drive belt that was for a 48" Lazer HP. My question is: Are the belts for the 52" close enough in size to the 48" to use for a day or so? No one will be open until Monday and I have lots of lawns to cut. :confused:

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hey Mike,

Since you created this post on Sunday and it's now Monday, I'm going to guess that you've already either tried to use the 44"/48" belts or haven't. There is about a 3/4" difference from the 52" belt to the 44"/48" belt. If you try to use the 44"/48" belt, you may notice some excessive smoking and squealing from the belts rubbing against each other; however, it may work and shouldn't cause any long-term adverse effects to your mower.

Just to be safe, I would stay away from the hills and water (if possible). The last thing you would want to do is loose control of your LHP when on a hill, and if this belt slips or snaps, that could happen.

If you did try to go with the 44"/48" belt on your 52" LHP, I think it would be beneficial to the other LHP owners on LS.com to post a reply and report on how it worked. I'm not trying to be an advocate for using the wrong belt, but sometimes dire circumstances call for drastic measures.

Thanks for the post,

Dustin
    Exmark Customer Support

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I suggested on the open forum that he wait and get the right one. That belt is too expensive to destroy for 1 days cutting.

4. Mike (MLC)

Mike (MLC) LawnSite Member

Thanks for getting back with me. I did put the belt on my mower for a little while Sunday afternoon. I had a yard that I needed to finish. I took my chances with the wrong belt. I was surprised that it actually did fine. There was some tall grass that I went through and the belt never slipped off and never caused any problems. I did only use it for that one yard. The belt might have been fine on my mower, but I was just more comfortable with getting the correct one on there. On Monday, I went back to the shop I bought it from and was able to exchange both belts for the correct one. ;)

5. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

this is for standard lazer 52 inch w mule drive. its 111 inches 5/8 . i used napa belt b108 . high quality and fits well. actually 7/16 shorter but just makes the belt grip good.
    also putting it on can be diffiicult..
    theres a bar just past the tention spring..
    tie string to bar and pull it thru the pulley pul up tight ,and tie it to the back frame.
    slip your belt on an cut the string off.
    makes a bothersome job easy.

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

AWM,

Thanks for the post. As a manufacturer we can not recommend that you use non-OEM belts for several reasons.

One reason is safety. Please remember that the belt not only must get the blades spinning but it also has an integral part in stopping the blades as well. As part of the ANSI standards the blades must stop spinning with in a specific time. With an aftermarket belt we have no way of knowing if the mower meets the ANSI standard or if the belt will continue to meet the standard as more hours are put on the machine.

One other reason we don't recommend non-OEM belts is life. Again we don't know how much a non-Exmark belt will stretch, how it is effected by heat age etc. In this area you're kinda on your own.

Good luck

Terry

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

terry
    u are absolutely right. looked to be plenty strong but using doubles i snapped it the first yd today. exmark belt 47 dollars.but its that much stronger than the napa belt. glad i didnt get to bet on it ,as id have lost the farm. dam belt looked good. yaw may ship my crow to me or ill pick it up. hope crow is good . bbq sauce mabe.:) any way boys whatever num napa belt i gave u ,does not work.
    live an learn