Drive belt question?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by qball98, Mar 26, 2004.

1. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I have a Lazer Z HP and am having a problem with the hydro pump drive belt. The belt has cracks in it like it is drying out or something. I replaced it when the machine had about 50 hours on it because of the same problem now about 150 hours later I noticed the new one is cracking too. Is there a reason for this or am I just getting old belts from my dealer?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Qball98,

It's pretty unlikely you’re getting old belts. It is a good idea to double check and make sure it's an Exmark belt. Most of our belts have our part number and company name on them. If the belts cracked now the number are probably worn off.

Cracked belts are generally caused by two things. One is heat. Heat caused by slippage in particular which is what I believe may be the problem with your machine. I've also seen machines sit over winter and the belts crack but that isn't all that big of a deal.

The cracks created by heat are a bid deal however. This is generally caused by slippage which occurs because the spring can not properly tension the belt. Generally the spring is not an issue. More often than not it's a problem with the pivot. If there is a dirt, corrosion etc. in the pivot then the spring can not do its job. If the unit is less than one year old I'd take it in and have the dealer look at the idler. If it's past the one year warranty simply remove the belt, unbolt the idler arm and inspect it.

If you have any questions give me a call at 800-667-5296.

Thanks,

Terry

3. qball98

qball98 LawnSite Member

I was reading through some old posts about belt problems and I seems other people have this problem when mowing on hills or when using an ultra vac. I have an ultra vac and I do mow quite a few properties with hills. Could this be contributing too my problem. One of the posts said something about a heavier spring would this help? I don't want to have too keep changing this belt every time I turn around.

I kept the first belt for a spare so I took a look at it today. It was an exmark belt and the one on it now came from the dealer so it should be an exmark belt too. I think you are right about the belt slipping the old one looked like it had been. The pivot point was removed, cleaned and regreased at 50 hours when the first belt was changed. It has been greased as recomended in the owners manual ( in fact probably more often since I like to take good care of my equipment).

I would also like to know what you think about using belt dressing too help reduce this problem? I am thinking about trying it on the next belt.

I am also wondering about driving the mower without the motor running at full speed. When I am loading and un-loading it from the trailer I usually run at about 3/4 speed. Could this be causing the problem?

Sorry for so many questions but I am just trying too determine if it is machine problem or something I am doing to cause it.

Thanks

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Qball98,

Sorry it took me a while to find my notes but have your dealer look up service bulletin 04-04 or sent me a pm to terry.eckert@exmark.com and I'll follow up with them. This describes the situation you’re talking about and the appropriate fix.

Thanks,

Terry