DRIVE BELT Replacement

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by TroyFazio, Sep 17, 2006.

1. TroyFazio

TroyFazio LawnSite Member

Ok Might sound stupid to you commercial guys, it is my first time doing this on my own. i know how to replace a deck belt. but only problem with the drive belt i am having. is i need to drop down the pulley from the engine. so that i can get the belt around the pulley, but the damn thing keeps turning. when i use my socket wrench. what tool should i use to get this pulley to drop down?

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

I assume you are talking about the idler pulley. I usually use a hammer to pull/push the pulley back. If there is two of you, one person can push the pulley while the other puts the belt on. I would put the belt around all of the pulley except the idler before you try to move the idler pulley.

3. TroyFazio

see there is 3 guards on that pulley left right front, and its very tight up agains so that the belt dont slip off it

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

First, what type/model of mower?????? That would help answer your question ALOT

Next, you shouldn't need a wrench to change a drive belt

5. TroyFazio

Huskee 18.0 Hp 42" cut
    mtd 13ap0986732
    sku 7540338
    i got 75" belt Tractor Supply co. didnt know what the hell they was doing. so i dont know if i got the right belt.
    i got the deck off the mower.
    now its just getting the belt on the that other pulley.
    not the bottom the top

6. TroyFazio

dang, sku is 4494031
    used the belt number im tring to buy

7. TroyFazio

please dont leave me hanging guys

8. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Soon as I read your first post I knew what type unit you have, Remove the four engine mount screws then slide the engine back and roll the belt onto the pulley. Thats much easier than trying to slide the stack pulley down because a lot of them get stuck on the shaft anyways.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

BTW, The model # you posted is no good, That may be why TS had trouble finding the proper belt. I know those tags suck so hold a flashlight straight down on the tag then look from a angle it may give you a better view. The closest I could get it a 13AP698G731 which takes belt #754-0338.