Drive belt slipping

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by cclllc, Oct 2, 2012.

1. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

I recently acquired an XT 33/72 that appears to have drive belt issues.It was recently serviced by the owners dealer so not sure what all was done.It slips on hills and when you go full stick.I have a sending unit leaking also and hoping this is the culprit.I was at the deader in nashville and the mechanic said he has been replacing alot of drive belts on these units at about 200 hours each time.Is this this a design flaw?

2. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

What is an XT33/72 is that some kind of an airplane?

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Not likely, I don't recall replacing 3-4 in 6 years. I've got quite a few commercial guy's getting as many as 5 years out of hydro belts.

People seem to think since the belt has a spring tensioned idler they don't need adjusting, But that's wrong. The engine is moved back as the belt stretches to maintain 1 1/4" between the pulley and side frame rail, Or the idler arm kept in a straight up-down position. Make sure the idler arm mount screw and nyloc nut on the cross frame is NOT too tight which will cause improper belt tensioning.

Also, Any belt other than the factory 2006B42R or Carlisle B42R (RAW EDGE) will not last and cause issues.....

So, Check the condition of the belt and replace/adjust as needed and you should be good to go.

BTW, Ask the guy that's changing all these belts if he's installing OEM's or equivalent.....

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Nope...... It's a Chopper !!!

5. cclllc

cclllc LawnSite Senior Member

Thank's man.Good info.