Drive Belts On Toro Wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BRIAN FOLEY, May 11, 2002.

1. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

Has anyone had trouble with the drive belts on the toro tbar wb? I keep stretching out the r side belt and the brakes keep squeeling also. the local dealer is miffed. the last belt lasted 2 lawns and i started having problems making left hand turns. Any help would be great. by the way its this years model 44" and w/the 17 kawi and the trutrak sulky. thank you Brian:mad:

2. Nelson

Nelson LawnSite Senior Member

Brian,

On a Post the other day It was said that the Gates 17500
    or Dayco 17500 will work + alot less in price....

Hope this helps.....

3. MATTHEW

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Tell me HOW they are failing. You said they were stretching, but are they splitting down the middle first or cracking holes from side to side?

I read that post and decided to pick up a 17500 just for the heck of it. Well, 2 days later in the middle of a lawn in a posh gated community... the belt snaps! I grabbed my 17500 and got it on in 4 minutes. It was skinny enough that I did not have to take off the side guards. I just worked it in with a screwdriver. I did 7 more lawns that day (with the Velkie) with the one belt. Thanx to you for that tip. I got ahead of schedule and only spent $8 to do it.

4. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

Try your mower without the Sulky. I think its designed for a hydro

not a belt drive. You need a piviting sulky. TrimmerTrap bullrider

Velke, Jungle wheels. I had a 44 Toro from 88-98. Wheel drive

dried out before they failed. I bought a 52 Toro wb old style.

5. BRIAN FOLEY

BRIAN FOLEY LawnSite Member
    from ERIE,PA

The belt is just getting longer no cracks or spliting. i do notice on the top tension pully that it seems to be just making contact on the outside it is a split type pully and only shiny on half not like the other side where i am not having the problem where it appears to be making full contact, alot of brake squeeling going on when trying to turn on the side with the problems as well. Thans, Brian:mad:

6. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

How many hours?

Those belts stretch like crazy for the first 100 hours.

I spay a shot of white lithium grease on the brake drum itself - I have to on the 52" because it still slides the tires too easy - even after the brake fix - This eliminates the squeaking, just be cafefull for the first 30 minutes or so - until the grease gets worked in.

After the belts are broke in, belt dressing will help too.

A trailering type sulky will help a lot too, the mower has to turn itself and pull your weight around too with a castering type sulky.