Drive or Aclaim

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by humble1, Dec 6, 2007.

1. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

What have you had good luck with? I was thinking of mixing it w/ a broadleaf control and kill two birds w/ one stone for spot treating. Any input would be good

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

That's an expensive proposition if you're doing a lot of acreage, either way.
    But going with Drive would be the cheaper route, and also give you a broader label 'range' (with the one exception of goosegrass).

Once you mix these these two types of pesticides together in solution you have to work hard to spray it out.
    The 'half life' of that pesticide mixture is one day, maximum.
    (In simpler language, the chemicals 'degrade each other' very quickly if you don't get the spray solution out reasonably fast)

3. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

It's always far better to control annual weeds with a pre-emergent. Then spray (if needed) breakthrough areas with a good post emergent. Drive is better for several reasons than Aclaim. We like Q4 the best, cuz of it's broad spectrum and turf safety. We'll use up the last of our Drive early next summer, but once it's gone, we'll use only Q4 from now on. Check it out. It also totally kills nutsedge.

4. grassman177

grassman177 LawnSite Fanatic

american, q4 will not totally kill nutsedge. it suppresses is only but will kill the crap out of it temporarily. it does great for everything else though. i too have switched to it. i used to use speedzone in one backpack and manage/sedgehammer and drive with a surfactant in another to touch up breakthrough. it works well, but it is pricey and timely to have two tanks so i switched to q4 so i can just get it all in one pass.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used both and have found that Drive works better for me. Also i beleive Q4 only supresses Yellow Nutsedge.I tried Q4 this year and was not impressed. Chhers and Happy Friday!

6. JWTurfguy

JWTurfguy LawnSite Senior Member

Q-4 is nice, but pretty expensive when you compare price and actual coverage.

If you want to mix a crabgrass control with a broadleaf (assuming you aren't using Q-4), go with Drive for your crabgrass control. You can't mix Acclaim with 2,4-d (the ai in most of your broadleaf chems).

Also, if you aren't already doing so, consider doing split apps of preemergent rather than just the traditional spring app (preemergents only last for so long in the soil, and typically are broken down and ineffective by the time the heat of the summer comes).
    Then, simply go after your areas of breakthrough (curbs, hotspots, etc) with Drive.

7. MN Lawn Guy

MN Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Q4 has the same active ingredient as Drive, as well as 2,4 D. I have used both and had very good results with them. Although I was mostly going after crabgrass. If you want to skip the step of mixing the two chemicals together then buy the Q4. I

8. MN Lawn Guy

MN Lawn Guy LawnSite Member

Forgot to add that Acclaim will yellow the turf a bit.

9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

I've heard this too about Q4's suppression only of nutsedge. I sprayed Q4 on yellow nutsedge this summer/fall on several properties, and it never came back. I mix Q4 at it's highest rate and add UAP's LI-700....then I spray it with a battery-powered backpack sprayer. One example is our front ditch -- sprayed it -- burned down the nutsedge, and it never came back. My LESCO guys told me some guys get total kill, while other guys do not. Guess I'll find out if it comes back next summer. BTW, Vic (lawnsite) is the guy who recommended Q4 to me, and I thank him for this, cuz I'm now sold on it. Thank you Vic.

10. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

No problem Larry. If you spray that nutsedge with Q4 in June, you won't see it come back the next year either. It's good stuff!