Drive point/Sand point wells.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by jcom, Sep 12, 2007.

1. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

I have been asked to provide an estimate for a house very close to a large river and he would like to use a sandpoint well as his neighbor is using one and has for years. I suppose I could check his neighbors for capacity if he would allow it.

The house is about 150' from the property edge and the property is approx. 12-15' above the river.
    However, because of the slope of the property, we could probably install a sandpoin 10' above the river. We cannot get to the river for a pump because of the distance. (Probably close to a quarter mile).

He does not want to use city water because of the expense. A very large lot to irrigate. I do not know the capacities of a sandpoint and pump as I have no experience with them. Would I have to install the sandpoint and then a pump and do a flow test to know if it is feasible or is there a formula of some kind?

My estimate is 10 zones off city water and a 1" pipe for his system so you have an idea of the property to be irrigated. I guess I am trying to figure out if the rough capacities of a sandpoint well or if I need to have a well drilled instead.

Thanks,

John*newusflag*

2. To the top. Somebody help John I'm curious as to what a sand well is.

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

i dont know how many of you guys do this but i had to go on a call this summer. I usually got out to septic system "emergency" calls when someones pump fails, but this was different. The guy has a 1500gallon septic tank with a standard 1/2hp effluent pump in the tank. The downspouts from the house run into the tank and then the irrigation control panel kicks on the effluent pump when its time, it pumps it out to the sprinkler heads. I have never seen this before and as long as it rains every so often i think it would work...how much water dose does the typical irrigation system use in a day?

4. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Shallow water table in a layer of sand or gravel.

5. WalkGood

WalkGood LawnSite Bronze Member

During just daytime or night time too? :rolleyes:

6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

oh i dont know...im just curious how long it takes to use 1500 gallons of water...just to see if this "septic tank idea" is a good idea or not

7. 1500 would go pretty fast. Fimco indexing valves were made for this sort of application. Move the water aroud each time the septic tank gets the water pumped out.

8. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

In other words, a cistern.

9. jcom

jcom LawnSite Senior Member

A sand point well or drive point well is created by driving pipe with a screen of sorts on the bottom into the ground where there is a high water table.

I have since found out that they are only good for maybe 6-10 gallons so would not be good for my application and size of property.

Thanks,

John

10. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

You can get more than 10 gpm if the soil permits, or even go to the extreme of setting up multiple points and linking them together. Soil and water table will determine what you can do. It might end up being easier to install the thousand feet or so of pipe it would take to draw from the river.