drive to the office

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by gway, Dec 28, 2005.

1. gway

gway LawnSite Member

just wanted to ask to some of the medium to bigger groups out there, how far do you drive to your office every morning? is your shop located out of the house down the block, or how far is too far to drive!!! And what about cost??What are you paying for your garage space or office space?? Pull barn? or wherever you call your headquarters. just thinking of moving and i ve been spoiled for 10 years having my office and garage 2 blocks awaay, but now im looking to see how far or what is the averaqqge commute
    Thank you and merry christmass to all of you!!

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I commute 26 miles to my office. The office is central to our service area which is about a 30 mile radius around the office...

3. J Hisch

J Hisch LawnSite Senior Member

I drive 3 miles and it is also centered around about 90% of our jobs.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I own a house that my company rents for $650 a month. About 1 acre of land and a 14 x 32 shed and a garage. Less than 5 min from the house now. But I am going to list my house in Jan so that will change, more like 30 miles but my wife will be closer to work with a much easier drive.
    I also do not drive a truck home but a car that gets about 26 MPG. so it is not so bad with the gas.
    I also pay a little less than market rent as homes like that get closer to $850 per month.

5. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

I drive about 4 miles. Hey Gway...what part of Chicago?

Dan

6. gway

gway LawnSite Member

hey dan...i live out here in naperville, il. ive owned GreenWay landscape now for about 12 years but have really never been to this site before. but im always looking for ways especially this year to pick up new buisness around the area.

7. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I see your from Naperville, Just to set the stage a little better. My 30 mile trip will be done in under 30 min. yet your 5 mile trip could take longer. I do not have anywhere near the traffic that you do. Early AM traffic can kill ya.
    Where are you thinking about moving to? more west?

8. muddstopper

muddstopper LawnSite Silver Member

My commute is about 50ft. My shop is seperate from my house, but not by much.

9. nephilim0167

nephilim0167 LawnSite Member

I commute 30 miles. About 35 minutes in the morning, and 1 1/2 - 2 hrs at night :-| Could be worse! Back home in CA I used to commute 40mi each way on a motorcycle. Lane splitting helped a lot.

10. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah me too. Well mine is like 100 ft.

Within the next year I will be moving the shop to a piece of commercial property I own. Then the commute will be about 15 miles each way.