Drive up lifts such as on Toro

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by Mid Rivers, Jun 12, 2001.

1. Mid Rivers

Mid Rivers LawnSite Member

I am interested in the drive on jack that is on the Toro mowers. Is Exmark going to offer this? What about a retro-fit for older mowers?

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

A buddy of mine has this on his 60" Toro Z, and he is really disappointed in it. In the first place, it doesn't even work on cement, like on his shop floor, and when the mower IS up, it doesn't really lift it high enough to really work efficiently. He just uses his junglejack.

3. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I was very curious about this as well. What's goin's on with the drive up jack stand? Could you explain it in a little more detail? Is it removable? Could it also be possible to install two on a mower for ultimate safety? (One on each side).

4. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Dear Mid-Rivers,

Never say never but at this point we are not spending engineering resources on a jack stand alternative. We have heard a lot of mixed signals about the true usefullness of this product and would like to get a better feel from the market.

From what I understand the Toro jackstand is a permanent attachment that is not intended to go on and off.

As a manufacturer, I would like to hear the opinions of Lawnsite members on if this is something worth considering. Rephrased is this a feature you are willing to pay for? (Maybe $100 to the cost of our Lazer Z's?) We are very sensitive to adding to the retail price......the benefit has to be greater than the retail price increase to win you guys over...

I look forward to hearing from other Lawnsite Members

Regards,

Exmark

5. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns LawnSite Senior Member
    from Midwest

It's a joke and a gimmick.

We have 2 new Toro's this year and have removed them already.

The only thing it's useful for is to serve as a bumper when on the trailer.

The post by Runner is right on.

They MIGHT work if:
    1.) A rubber foot was attached to the bottom to grab on concrete. (Which will get gummed up with grass anyway)

2.) It acutally lifted high enough to change the blades or scrape the deck.

Whoever engineered that must be on the same team that re-did the (now useless) 52" Toro WB and they should be re-assigned. (To Encore perhaps)

If I were eXmark, I might direct my efforts to making the WHOLE deck flip like some (inferior) competitors.

6. Vibe Ray

Vibe Ray LawnSite Senior Member

Now that would be so awesome!!! A flip up deck on a Lazer!!!That does sound like a much better idea!

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not real sure I would be interested in it. Its just way to easy to use the gate on the trailer as the jackstand. I would suggest you continue putting R&D money into quality and future developments and not worry about something this trivial.

8. Grasshog

Grasshog LawnSite Senior Member

I'm behind 65Hoss all the way.

9. HOWARD JONES

HOWARD JONES LawnSite Member

I own a Toro Z255, jack works fine even on concrete, true it's more satisfactory for skinny guys. I think its best feature is it is ready for use in field if you get something wrapped around blades. It has a good locking plate for safety and can be removed by pulling one pin. eXmark rep: $100? it is pretty simple device - I think $50 is more like it. Different subject - I read that Toro now owns eXmark - true? How similar are the product lines? Looks to me like the low end (Kohler) Z models are almost identical, whereas the upper end goes more upscale with eXmark, such as the diesels, etc.

10. EJK2352

EJK2352 LawnSite Bronze Member

All I have to do if I need to service the deck on my Exmark is to
    drive up my trailer ramp on the far left or right, and I can do anything that needs done ( i.e. scrape, change blades,check for
    damage, etc. etc.),and I don't have this big ugly hunk of metal
    between my caster wheels. ED