drive ur truck off the driveway?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by birddseedd, Oct 25, 2012.

1. birddseedd

birddseedd LawnSite Silver Member

got yelled at by a customer for driving my truck down to the back of his new house where im putting out sod.

says not to do it again.....

well. iv got 1 of 200 yards put down. frankly wheel barreling them down the hill will not be safe. sure i told them if nothign else, if the driveway got put in before i got the sod in, i woudl wheel barrel it down. but the more i look at the hill, knowing how much sod weighs, i know ill end up loosing it and doing a faceplant in the cement.

frankly its just not safe.

so,,, do i drive back down there? sure i put a few marks in the dirt on the other side where the mud was much thicker than it seemed, but this side past a puddle is nice and dry. not even any small marks in the dirt going down.

I dont have a bob cat, my mower with a hitch wont move. wheel bareling it just isnt safe.

what would you do?

they are also got on me about my wife working with me. they think im going to sue them if she gets a splinter.

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Finish the job the fastest way possible and never take them on as a customer again. Congratulations, you are now married to a sod job.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Spring Valley Lawn Service

Spring Valley Lawn Service LawnSite Member

T have them pay you for the sod and see if they ll tote it by hand for the labor u charged.

4. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

He's right! LoL

5. birddseedd

chuckles.ya. problem is im not really in the position to turn away customers. this job is the only way im getting by next month.

but i dont even see another option but to drive down there. he thinks its only going to add another half hour to the labor (which they wont pay a penny over the estimate, they have already stated that). but i dont even see it as being safe, its a decent grade down the hill. 200 lbs for a few rolls of sod and itl be draggin me down the hill. woudl you attempt it?

6. Sprinkler Buddy

Sprinkler Buddy LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Have or borrow an ATV ?

7. birddseedd

idealy i woudl just put the trailer on my mower. perfect solution. accept its broken and i lack the 1000 to fix it.

i know people with atv's but they woudlnt loan it. and it woudl kidna defeat part of what he's complaining about. he thinks im putting ruts in teh hard drit goign down. an atv deff would. he woudl freaking knowing most bigger companies would use a skidstear to do it ;)

8. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

have your wife wheel barrow it down the hill. They'll feel bad and let you drive your truck down.

9. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

Tell them your going to do the job the way you intended to when you quoted the price and any areas that are disturbed by your equipment will be repaired or otherwise you cant do the job. Because otherwise you actually cant do the job. Your not turning down work. You cant reason with unreasonable people and there are alot of them. If your wife is a legal partner in the company then shes covered by your liabilty policy, otherwise you should have WC or just do this job on your own if they are watching that closely.

10. birddseedd

the guy that asked me how much the bag of material cost me im putting down on his lawn cost, i respond it costs me 52 dollars to buy it, then he asks if ill do the treatment for 50, would he qualify for this statement?