Drive Vs. Q4

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by GREEN-UP, Feb 9, 2008.

1. GREEN-UP

GREEN-UP LawnSite Member
    from sw ohio

I have used both products before. I was wondering which one others think is the best to use and cost effective. I like Q4, but so expensive. Drive usually took 2 applications, but was cheaper to use and I think you get more mixes w the granular. Also, do you recommend mixing sedgehammer and Q4 or drive together in a backpack sprayerwhen you have crabgrass/nutsedge?

2. duncan7455

duncan7455 LawnSite Member

i personally have had great results with Q-4 mixed with very little spreader-sticker dont see the need to further spike it with any thing else. I have not had great results with drive. Sedgehammer works great, but i like that Q-4 works on nutsedge, annual grassy weeds, and broadleafs alone.

3. PSUTURFGEEK

PSUTURFGEEK LawnSite Senior Member

Quinclorac is the active ingredient in Q4 that kills crabgrass, if you read the
    Drive 75 label you will also notice Quinclorac is the active ingredient also.
    Drive is what kills crabgrass in the Q4 product, but from my experience once you figuire out the cost per acre Q4 is the better deal being that you get nutsedge suppression and a better range of broadleaf weeds, I always Q4 at the higher rate gallon/acre and usually get really nice results, Drive75 at the
    1#/acre rate still does work nice with the right sticker, most university studies show hawkeye with Drive75 is the best combo.

4. FdLLawnMan

FdLLawnMan LawnSite Bronze Member

If you are going to use Drive you must use Methylated Seed Oil as the sticker, otherwise your results will be disappointing. If you use it with the MSO one application is all you need. I cannot stress enough that MSO is the secret when trying to kill crabgrass with Drive. Q4 controls a much broader range of weeds than Drive does.

5. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I only use Drive for CG w/ no oil or sticker and have hag nothing but Great results w/ 1 app.

6. Cubguy

Cubguy LawnSite Member

Used Drive for the first time last year with Lesco sticker because no one had MSO.
    Worked good early in the season, not as good later. Anyone know where to get MSO
    in the San Antonio area?

7. boats47

boats47 LawnSite Member

there really two different products in a sense. You use Drive for the crabgrass even on mature plants and Q4 as your 4 way for other situations plus CG control. The only reason to have both would be cost, otherwise I think we would all just keep Q4 in a tank and use that as the cure-all to weeds/sedges.
    I know, that here in RI we have a big problem with ground ivy and Q4 spiked with quicksilver and sticker reall does a job on it and believe me I have tried everything under the sun (just about).

8. quiet

quiet LawnSite Senior Member

That's typical. Drive works very effectively on "new" and "old" crabgrass. It struggles a bit with crabgrass during the "mid-life" stages, and that's where using MSO as a sticker is really necessary. As you've noted, during the early and late stages of crabgrass, any sticker will do fine.

Call Estes in Waco at (254) 662-3092 and they'll UPS a bottle to you.

9. Rayholio

Rayholio LawnSite Bronze Member

I've used both quite a bit, and I feel that Drive does what it says, and Q4 doesn't.. Q4controls broadleaf great.. and everything else (especially nutsedge) is hit or miss..

Maybe I shoud experiment with different stickers....

10. Cubguy

Cubguy LawnSite Member

Thanks quiet!

Will call them