drive way paths

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by clcare2, Dec 24, 2007.

1. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I am starting to plan a large project for next year.

We installed a large patio in front of a home this fall that has several paths coming off of it and running through the front yard landscaping.

The customer has a large island that the drive way wraps around in front of the house. They would like to run a few of the paths through the driveway and connect the island to the current landscaping.

I have never cut into an existing drive. Is there anything that I should watch out for in both the demo and install parts of the this project? The drive is poured concrete and is about 18 feet wide where the paths will be going through.

2. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

what are you making the paths out of?

3. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

Depending on your region, you can run into a lot of problems. Take into consideration the way drives are built. Here in Dallas, a sidewalk and a driveway has more steel reinforcement than home foundations in New Mexico. In a drive, you can run into sleeving, rebar, keyways, compacted base material, etc. How will you be cutting the existing drive? What happens if you cut out a pier on a drive (if there is one). If you have to remove a pier, will you be inserting a new one on a different portion of the drive?

I definitely would not warranty any portion of the driveway after you do your work. Overdig clause would be a good thing to have in your contract.

4. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

If you have any reservations about doing it, just sub out the concrete cutting.
    You need make sure there are no live wires below, ie tv, phone or sprinkler systems. Personally I would do it myself. We would mark it out first then cut with a saw and demo blade, you will likely have re-bar in there.
    I would scribe the concrete before hand so you have a guide.

5. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Paths consist of pavers.

No utilies to worry about.

This is not something that has to be done, we can just pick up the path on the other side if needed, but the customer would like it if you did cut in.

With that said, if the intergity of the drive will be compermised, or anything long term will become a problem, we will recommend against it.

I don't have reservations against it, just need to know whats involved in the process and what needs done to insure the intergrity of the drive.

Even if i sub the cutting out, I still need to know everything so i hire the right people and inform the customer correctly.

Thanks for the help.

6. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

There is always the possibility of chipping or cracking the concrete during the removal phase and possibly but not likely during compacting of the pavers once you have them laid. You would need to take care thats all. If the concrete is solid now then maybe I would tend to leave it alone. What about just making a small indent in the concrete, say like a half moon or something. Here is one we did except it was on asphalt.

canon 6th download 057 (Medium).jpg

canon 6th download 060 (Medium).jpg

7. clcare2

clcare2 LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Anything is an opption at this point. We've been talking about adding some design to it, but really had not gotten that far.