1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drive wheel shutters on embankments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Sharks, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Lawn-Sharks

Lawn-Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I was mowing a new account that has what i believe to be a 30 to 40 degree slope leading down towards the pond on the property and as i was mowing the side of the hill i noticed that my mower turned to the left when the levers were in the forward position??? so i thought the tire was just spinning and i let off and got back into it again and a few minutes later it did it again but this time i shot over the tank and seen the left drive tire just shuttering???not moving at all, after seeing that i went and parked on level ground and checked the hydro fulid and both tanks were full? So i went back to mowing and about 25min later the rite drive tire did it (what the hell)..:cry:Ive never have this problem before with any of my mowers.. Does anyone know what causing this or has had this same problem or am i just mowing to steep of an angle for my mower??? any help would be appreciated
  2. Frue

Frue LawnSite Bronze Member

does it just do it on the hill? It sounds like a bad wheel motor.
  3. Lawn-Sharks

Yes, but ony when i go left to rite on the hill but not up and down. I was thinking the same thing (wheel motor) ugh! hope not.:dizzy:
  4. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

did you check the hydro fluid level? it could easily be cavitating due to low level.
  5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a similar problem but it was not just one wheel. The belt was slipping and it made it feel like a wheel motor was going out. New tension spring and it was good as new.. Always happened going up very steep hills.
  6. excel25

excel25 LawnSite Senior Member

I vote belt
  7. Lawn-Sharks

I double checked the hydro fluid today and it was a little low so i filled it up and mowed the property that i was having that problems on today and the mower seemed ok but i am also going to check the hydro belt & tensioner because i do not believe that some problems can be solved that simply? ( with my luck its never that easy)Thank you all for the great feedback! :drinkup:
  8. grass_cuttin_fool

grass_cuttin_fool LawnSite Gold Member

My scag will do that on occasion....and when it does the hydro pump belt has a chunk missing and its not long before it breaks....flat ground small hill it doesnt happen much but if on a big hill or really pushing the mower hard...it shows up

9. Ooomwizard

Ooomwizard LawnSite Senior Member
    from atlanta

Low hydro level. Pumps were getting air pockets.
  10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

They had a recall on the Turf Tiger that my dealer didn't even know about. They sent him a kit to move the tension spring and reposition it a little. This problem only showed up on hills and felt like a shutter. It hasn't done it since the spring was repositioned.