drive xlr8 sucks!

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by woodlawnservice, Jun 10, 2012.

1. woodlawnservice

woodlawnservice LawnSite Senior Member

I bought this for use on crabgrass here in Oklahoma.... I've applied 2 Apps at Max rate and this does not affect the crabgrass at all! It kills the smaller weaker crabgrass but the larger kind it hasn't hurt it the slightest bit with weather being in high 80s to low. 90s. Very disszppointed in this product.... Ive bbeen told to use q4?
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. pinto n mwr

pinto n mwr LawnSite Senior Member
    from gr8, mn

I just bought some. What did you mix it with. I didn't want to buy q4 because of the cost and the high mix rate.

3. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I like Q4. But drive will work but must use surfectant.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. woodlawnservice

That's why I bought it as well but I believe it was a mistake now. Seriously this stuff hasn't even weakened the large crabgrass....
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. woodlawnservice

I did use surfectant with it... I combined drive with trimec to spot spray with. I smoked all my boadleaf stuff and sedges r drying but crabgrass is healthy as ever...
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. maelawncare

maelawncare LawnSite Senior Member

What surfactant? Drive needs MSO. If you were spraying for broadleaf as well as crab you should have went with Q4 to begin with. But two apps of drive will work if used properly and their not in drought conditions.

7. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

I like Q4 it works well on basically everything I control! I was and still am a fan of Trimec Plus, I still have 10 plus gallons of it bought pre ban.

8. woodlawnservice

So heres the delima then... spend.money to order mso and try drive with that specific brand...or take my losses and just go buy q4... the drive has given me a bad taste now it seems I have wasted my money on it... wish mama was still around...lol
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Think Green

Think Green LawnSite Silver Member

(Quinclorac) is used by rice farmers under a different name--of course. The trick in agri culture is quinclorac applied when the fields are irrigated to about 2 inches of depth.

Was this lawn irrigated prior and at least 48 hours afterwards.?? The use of a MSO is very beneficial to penetrate the waxy cuticle of the crabgrass. I use MSO with Certainty also for sedge.

10. Kylec3

Kylec3 LawnSite Member

isnt the chemical in drive the same thats in q4 for crabgrass? i could be wrong...have had good results with both..i believe drive only works good on beginning stages and full grown stages of crabgrass but not middle stages