drivebelt adjustment

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by MikeLT1Z28, Apr 8, 2002.

1. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i have a '01 metro 36" with a 15 kohler. here lately when i start to climb small hill chen cutting i have to drop to 1st gear to pull up the hill, and in some cases if i don't get a running start it won't go up the hill. this mower was bought new in feb. 02 and only has about 25 hours on it. is there anything i can adjust? do i need to go back to my dealer? pulls fine on flat ground for the most part. if i can in 3rd and stop it's a little slow getting to speed, like a belt slipping but no sound or burning smell.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Ok, I've been a big advocate on fixing this problem with several people and I let my own friend get into trouble with it. I guess I dropped the ball. ;)

Trans belt needs to be tightened. I'll show you.

3. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Hi Guys,

You probably need either a drive belt adjustment or a transmission belt adjustment.

Here's how determine if it is the transmission belt or the drive belts to the wheels.

When you are going up the hill and the mower stops moving due to belt slippage look at the output shafts of the transmission. If the output shafts to the drive belts are turning and the wheels aren't then the drive linkages need adjusted.

If the transmission outputs are not turning then the transmission belt is slipping and the carriage belt must be loosened and the tension adjusted. When tensioning the transmission belt be careful not to over tension. The recommended speck is only 3lbs at 1/2" of belt deflection. That really means that if you pull on the belt it should only move 1/2" with 3lbs of pull. Over tensioning this belt can in time damage the bearings for the transmission input shaft.

Thanks

Terry

4. MikeLT1Z28

thanks for the info, i'll check it out. i don't think the outputs are turning so i'll get under it and check it. i'll have the hoss man there looking on with me. seems to have progressively gotten worse over the last few weeks.

5. MikeLT1Z28

ahhh, i got it adjusted today. now she's back to doing wheelies..errr.. pulling like it should ;D

6. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Mike,

Was it the transmission belt or the drive belts? Just curious.

Thanks

Terry

7. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

It was the Trans belt.