Driver 75 DF Herbicide

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Glasgow, Jun 18, 2008.

1. Glasgow

Glasgow LawnSite Member

Directions on the mix of Driver 75 DF are very unclear. What is the calculation of 1 lb. of Driver 75 DF to gallons of water. What I did read was that 1 acre should be covered by 20 gals. How much product should go into 20 gals.

2. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

With all due respect, you're trying to put the cart before the horse.

A 1 pound bottle of Drive DF herbicide will cover exactly 1 acre.
    (The spray rate of Drive is 0.367 oz / 1000 sq ft x 43.56{# of sq ft in an acre} = 16 oz = 1 lb)

Before you start mixing anything into your tank, you've got to know in your mind (approximately) the following two things :

1) How much time it takes you to walk over and spray a 1 acre lot with your spray rig setup, and...

2) How many gallons of water that you'd use during the specific increment of time that elapsed during step 1.

....then all you've got to do is stir in the 1 lb bottle of Drive (+ surfactant) into that specific volume of water.

Example :
    You do a '1 acre trial'...using just a light mix of blue tracker dye.
    You determine after your '1 acre trial' that you use about 90 gallons of water per acre, and it took you about 40 minutes to cover it (spraying constantly).

The 1 pound of Drive 75 DF, of course, would be mixed with 90 gallons, in this example.

Also, you can then mix your 200 gallon sprayer with confidence knowing that it will cover 2.22 acres per tank as long as you spray with the same walking pace.

You can also break this down "per thousand".

90 gallons per acre / 43.56 = approx 2 gallons per thousand.

You've also made a basic determination here, too, that it will would take almost 90 minutes for you to spray out an entire 200 gallons of spray solution in your tank. That's important data in bidding...and being competitive in your market in general.

3. Glasgow

Glasgow LawnSite Member

I see what you are saying but. My 7 nozzle sprayer says that if I use a delivery rate of 40 psi I should travel at a rate of speed around 4 miles per hr. At this rate of speed it takes around 10 gals. to cover a acre. Isn't the difference of concentrate of 1 to 10 and 1 to 90 change the effect of the herbicide. [like I said in the earlier post I read that it took 20 gals to do an acre, so I can adjust the p.s.i and mph] I'm just concerned about the concentration.

4. Marcos

Marcos LawnSite Gold Member

If you're confident about this information, you should then mix the 1 lb of Drive up into a 'slurry' a small bucket, and pour it, along with the surfactant, into 10 gallons of water, and follow the recommendations as to the proper pressure and speed.

If you're NOT confident...run a trail run (again, maybe with blue tracker) over an EXACT acre of land at a GIVEN comfortable pressure and speed, and see how many gallons you DO use !!
    Then you can guage by THAT "gallonage" more comfortably...because YOU'VE seen it yourself !!

(The "90" was just part of the example I set forth. And I had no idea you were running a BOOM system ! )
    :)

5. TforTexas

TforTexas LawnSite Senior Member

If the concentration is an issue there will be a statement on the label such as; use .337 oz of Drive in at least 3-5gals of water per 1,000 sq ft. If not the concentration is not a concern. The water is just a carrier and whether it takes 10 gals or 90 gals of water to cover the acre once the water has evaporated you have the same 1lb of Drive residue covering that acre.

6. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

very well explained

7. teeca

you've answerd your own question

8. teeca

good point

9. jbturf

jbturf LawnSite Bronze Member

ive never had good luck applying drive in such a low volume of water,
    and the label does state 20 gal./acre minimum
    g/l

10. ted putnam

ted putnam LawnSite Platinum Member

I hope it works well with low volume. I bought my first package ever the other day and have been applying it through a backpack with 8004lp teejet nozzle. Too expensive to tank mix. JMO. I guess 10 gal/ per acre is pretty low now that I think about it...