Lawn Care Forum banner

Drivers License background check?

5K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  clydebusa 
#1 ·
How do you do a driver's license background check?
Need help with this. My insurance agency use to do this for me, but they no longer can.
Any suggestions? I've googled and there are several sites I can use for a cost. Anyone used these sites before?

#2 ·
uhhh of course they can…how do they find out who to give you an insurance quote if they can't look up driving records?

IF your insurance company is giving you the lowest quote possible no matter WHOSE driving record? Then looking of driving records is sort of a moot point.

Driving records can be printed out at the DMV, you can simply request new applicants supply their own copy of their driving record.
But if the insurance company doesn't care? do you?

I think your agent is blowing smoke at you… find a new one.

#3 ·
Our insurance company gave us the website to look them up here in Columbus.. Also our county has a great website for criminal records, we use that a lot, it show points, if they have been suspended, charges, etc. etc.

#4 ·
I took the liberty of getting you the link.

Virgini Dept of Motor Vehicles- obtaining records

http://www.dmv.virginia.gov/general/#records/index.html

I will tell you right now though, you will need a release form. DMV records are not public so yeah. Have a release signed and then go to the DMV. However, I am not sure if they will release them anyways but you can always check.

"Driver records have always been privileged information and cannot be released in most cases without the data subject’s written consent. Exceptions to the consent requirement are made f or law enforcement, other government entities, insurance companies, rental car companies and employers in cases where the employee or potential employee holds a Commercial Driver's License (CDL). "

The other option is to have the employee request a copy and bring them to you (my tech school did this) but I would check the law first and verify that is legal in your state.

#5 ·
Good point by mclarke, you must get a release signed.

And this time Ted\Ed is correct, your insurance agent is full of crap. They are the ones who will insure your vehicles and drivers.

Try this, tell them you hired someone convicted of a DUI and see what they say. I bet they change their tune real quick.

#6 ·
Are you looking for an across the board background check or just a driver's record background check? In WV you can go to the DMV, fill out a release and pay $5 to get a certified copy of your driver record for the past 5 years. Just fax/scan/mail it to the insurance office. I have to do that each year where 2 of my guys have their CDL.

#7 ·
Actually, I only get releases signed by applicants.

Once a year I get a form from my agent asking who my drivers are so they can run them.

#8 ·
Since it was mentioned I figured I will comment on background checks.

I would think that an insurance agent would WANT to run the driving records of drivers you hire, but hey, can't beat stupid.

With the driving records, make sure you have a release signed. Having one done every year is good and least its on file. All driving records will have to be obtained thru your state DMV.

As with driving records, a release should be had for background checks as well. If you are wondering where to obtain them I would go thru the state or you can request/run an FBI finger print check.

All states forward convictions to the FBI (NCIC network) so it is usually more thorough, especially if they have out of state conviction. You can also get records from your State Dept of Justice (Crime Information Bureau).

I do bounty hunting as a part time gig, or rather, am trying to get into it more. I do a lot of studying and such, so if you need advice let me know. I am no expert, but, I can try and find an agency if you have a specific question.

Best advice- check the DMV for driving records. Check the State Dept of Justice for background checks.

:) ALWAYS verify the legalities before acting.

#9 ·
Good point by mclarke, you must get a release signed.

And this time Ted\Ed is correct, your insurance agent is full of crap. They are the ones who will insure your vehicles and drivers.

Try this, tell them you hired someone convicted of a DUI and see what they say. I bet they change their tune real quick.
:laugh:

conviction of Vehicular manslaughter, make it more interesting:dizzy:

#10 ·
Actually, I only get releases signed by applicants.

Once a year I get a form from my agent asking who my drivers are so they can run them.
I give my insurance agent a fax of the DL of a new hire… IF there is something to know, I get a an email (used to be fax) of the driving record.

One time, my fax machine ran out of paper, I was like what is this??? WAR and PEACE?

the dude had literally 3 pages ALONE on escape and evade…I thought the printer was stuck, but then I looked and saw they were all different dates…. so separate incidents!

Guy thought he was living the life of a crime drama tv series!

#12 ·
At least you guys have applicants with licenses to check, seems like all we get are guys walking up "Uh.... can I work for you guys, I've got a revoked license, but you can pick me up in the mornings...".
Not all of them do.

I tell them I'm not a taxi service.

#13 ·
I give my insurance agent a fax of the DL of a new hire… IF there is something to know, I get a an email (used to be fax) of the driving record.

One time, my fax machine ran out of paper, I was like what is this??? WAR and PEACE?

the dude had literally 3 pages ALONE on escape and evade…I thought the printer was stuck, but then I looked and saw they were all different dates…. so separate incidents!

Guy thought he was living the life of a crime drama tv series!
So I am guessing you hired him? I mean come on. Think of the free advertising. Wrap the truck, let him drive it, tv crews follow the chase. Free commercial!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.