Drivers License - Who has a class E or CDL?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by TMlawncare, Feb 18, 2005.

1. TMlawncare

TMlawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

We have been in business full-time since 1996. Recently I had a friend of mine asked if I had a class E license since I was a "for hire" company. Until now I really haven't given it much thought. I have just a reg. drivers license. Its my company, do I need anything else. I have a couple employees that ride along with me, but next year one will be driving since were starting a second crew. Does he need a class E? I would like to here what your thoughts are and what you have. I know it will vary state to state.

2. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

It goes by weight. But for a pickup and trailer you dont need a cdl.

3. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a cdl since the state of Ohio started them because I used to work for a city.I know longer need it but chose to keep it, you never know when you might need it in the future,

4. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

I have my class B CDL! I got mine so there would not be a problem with weight.

5. greenngrow

greenngrow LawnSite Senior Member

I have heard of Class A (any combination of vehicles with GCWR of 26001 or more) Class B (any single vehicle with a GVWR of 26,001 or more)
    and class C (any single or combination that does not meet the definition of A or B....)

Never have heard of class E....

6. greenngrow

I have a class B with Haz Mat endoresment....

You guys that have CDL's get ready when have have them renewed.... With the new Home land Security act... It is going to cost about $150.00 to have a back ground check done when you renew the licence..... :angry:

7. lawnman_scott

when does this take effect?

8. lawnman_scott

actually a class e is a drivers license. So I guess to awnser the original question, yes he does need a class e.

9. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

Passenger endorsements are for 15 people or more in a single vehicle. What's the guy doing driving his crews in a bus? I have a class A. Still keep it even though I don't use it anymore.

10. greenngrow

Now.......