Driveway and sidewalk weeds

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by millsmowing, Mar 6, 2002.

1. millsmowing

millsmowing LawnSite Member

Here is a little something you can do for your customers that they will love!! As spring turns into summer, weeds and stray grass begin to grow in driveway and sidewalk cracks.Ispray these with round-up on a bi-weekly basis to give the home or business owner a cleaner appearance for their property. I figure in the time spent and the cost of the round-up right into mowing bid. The beauty of it is the customer thinks they are getting something extra from me but it's really just part of my standard service.Any one else do this , or am i the only one who hates looking at these weeds and gets paid to kill them?

2. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

We do this as part of our normal service. We crack spray all the footpaths and roadsides on all the subdivisions we maintain.

3. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I do that as well. I have one subdivision, where the developer left too much gap from the curb to the road, and its prone to weeds. once every couple of weeks. ill take a flat head shovel and get them out. Then on the bill, i put down that i did that, but then put no charge. I think its little things like that, that shows you care about their lawn.

4. C4chris70

C4chris70 LawnSite Senior Member

We also include this service in our package price. In my state we are required to carry a limited sprayers certification to apply round up. Are any of you required to carry this certification?

5. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm still waiting to hear my test results for the certification to spray roundup. Hopefully it won't be much longer.

6. TheLawnBoy

TheLawnBoy LawnSite Member

Another good trick (that doesn't show results immediately) is to pour salt water in the cracks. After a few applications the soil becomes saturated with salt and kills the plants. This works especially well in those interlocking paving stones where weeds are a pain.

I usually just use salt left over from winter maintenence and mix it in a bucket of water and pour it in the cracks.

7. Sean Adams

Sean Adams LawnSite Gold Member

Great Topic. Sidewalk, Driveway, etc...weeds are so unattractive, and it makes a considerable difference when taken care of - whether it be spraying, hitting them with a trimmer - whatever - just get rid of them. It is little things like that which enhance the look of the property.... Sometimes your clients will notice, sometimes they won't. It is your job to make sure they know. Don't do it one month and see how quick they are to notice then....

Sean Adams

8. greenflag

greenflag LawnSite Member

10% vinegar works wonders on a warm day. No certifications required for food products. It is pretty cool when it sizzles on the grass or weeds.

Just another option.

Garry

9. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping LawnSite Silver Member

the vinegar idea is great. ive tried it and it works just as good as roundup, and you dont need a license.

10. ronslawncare

ronslawncare LawnSite Senior Member

whats 10 percent vinegar. a spray bottle with 10 percent of vinegar added.