Driveway base recomendation please.

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by shovelracer, Jan 6, 2008.

1. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

OK long story short we bought a house and the property has drainage issues. We will be fixing them in the spring. Along with this the driveway needs to be ripped out to assist in the overall grading. Eventually we will install a pavers for the drive. Probably wont be for a few years though. In the meantime we are going to install base. Choices are: install base for pavers in terms of depth, compaction, etc. and risk contamination and errosion over the next few years, or throw down a few inches just for now and rip it up when we are ready for the pavers. What else am I not thinking about? What would you do? I asked myself if I would do this for a client and the answer was no, not sure why I would do it for myself, but maybe someone sees something I dont. Thanks
  2. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

I found myself in the same boat kinda like your talking about. Long story short do it when your ready. Life has a funny way of changing things.
  3. shovelracer

shovelracer LawnSite Silver Member

Yep I hear ya. Drainage must be done now, thats not even a question. My fear is we'll get wrapped up in lifes expenses and it'll never get done. Thanks for the advice.
  4. mverick

mverick LawnSite Senior Member

Don't prep it.

You want clean for the base, not years of mudd tracked in base.
  5. Edgewater

Edgewater LawnSite Senior Member

I disagree.

At our house, we prepped the base for the driveway almost four years before it was finished. Our driveway is blacktop. It has been in for over 5 years, and there is not one single little crack anywhere. For a while, all of my trucks were at the house. The 1 ton dump would often be brought home loaded and ready to go for morning.

Prep the base and then when you are ready to finish it, remove the top few inches (the fines will tend to migrate down) and replace it with fresh material that will be easy to level. This way you are only compacting a few incehs rather than 15 -18.

just my $0.02