Driveway boring question?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PR0 TURF, May 6, 2003.

1. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

I had a customer call this past week and ask if we could bore underneath his driveway so he could run some electricla lines underneath. I told him we have the boring attatchment on our machine but have never used it and have very limited boring experience. We met up and made a bore under his driveway and everything came out fine, but we do not know how to get the pipe to go from one end of the bore to the other. We tried connecting the pipe as we backed it out but everytime we turned the rods, the pipe would severely kink. My main question is how do we, or what do we need to get the pipe thru the bore from one side of the driveway to the other? We could not figure this out....:confused:

2. HBFOXJr

HBFOXJr LawnSite Bronze Member

What kind of bit did you use? What size bit was it? What size pipe are your trying to put through the hole? Your equipment sales person should be able to get you through this.

3. PR0 TURF

Im all set with everything now...spoke with the dealer and he explained it to me...stupid question on my part. Live and learn.

:blob4:

4. greenworldh20

greenworldh20 LawnSite Senior Member

chinese handcuffs.

they work great. after you bore, remove boring bit and attach handcuffs. pull bar back with machine.

presto!!!

that will be 9.95, sir.

brian

5. HBFOXJr

In order to make this forum a learning experience, please explain the equipment and procedure to others that may not know. Thanks

6. PR0 TURF

Good idea....
    I spoke with a rep over at Ditch Witch who told me to buy a "swivel" from them which would enable the rod to rotate, but which would leave the pipe in a stationary position so it would not twist around and kink up. I will connect my chinese fingers to the "swivel" so i can attatch the pipe to the whole procedure.

:blob4:

7. HBFOXJr

That is what I figured. Did you use a compaction bit or an augur bit to bore.

Here we usually use a compaction bit which will leave an smooth, open hole. Then we duct tape the end of the pipe and lide it through. Generally were talking 1" pvc and control wire with no problems. We also have a "back reamer" for enlarging The hole further that gets swapped for the first bit when you get through. The finger and swivel can be attached to that for larger pipe.

Depth of bore and trench opening can affect the ability to slide pipe through.

Alwasy use a few layers of tape so the end doesn't cup in and allow the pipe edge to grab the tunnel wall and frustrate you.