driveway drain

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by bobbyg18, Aug 28, 2007.

1. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

i am doing this job for a friend and also for experience...i havent done a job like this yet...i know its not rocket science but need to do my research...he's re paving his driveway and at the bottom of his slight driveway/hill he wants to install some type of drainage

i suggested a drain that leads to a dry well...im thinking a 6" grated drain cover and a hole with gravel w/ a trench to the dry well 10-15 ft away...

i see these type of drains everywhere...How are they to install?...and what else should i know?...thanks

2. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

In my opinion the only thing you need to know is = "storm tech subsurface isolator" -just make sure you follow the directions (wrapping gravel in filterfabric, compaction, clean stone etc.) The large units go for around $200 in my area. you can use just one, or attach as many more as you like.

www.stormtech.com

3. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

are you putting the drain in the blacktop or will it be on the side of the drive in the grass?

4. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Should have mentioned...The stormtech unit can go under the driveway. Its H-20 rated when installed under blacktop or certain depths of of gravel.

5. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

it will be in asphalt at the end of the driveway where the asphalt stops and the grass starts...im ripping out the old asphalt and installing the drain and dry well at that time and bringing in new loam for the back yard

i will get a picture soon...thanks for the help

6. bobbyg18

bobbyg18 LawnSite Member

wow, i just got another call from a potential customer and this is just about the same type of job...except this customer's drain is clogged, and wants a whole new pipe and trench dug...it empties into a stream

pics to follow...thanks for the help guys

7. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn LawnSite Senior Member

yeah, careful on that one, doubt the DEC would approve.

8. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

be VERY careful...if the property is well off the road you might be OK but if the work will be done next to a road where people can see you it might lead to problems...tree huggers now can get whatever they please. A DEP officer might give you a fine, but i have heard of guys who have been polluting fish steams with "unavoidable runoff" when they do a job next to a stream and they had the game commission come out...depending on how trigger happy the game warden is you might be leaving in handcuffs